Engineer - Transmission & Substation Support- Multiple locations (51944)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU]
The engineering positions in the Transmission & Substation Support are responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing FEU Substation Maintenance Practices and Methods, and providing regulatory and engineering technical support and oversight in the areas of capital and non-capital condition budget recommendations, and support of compliance adherence, of all FE-owned transmission lines and substations serving regulated and non-regulated customers and generating facilities. This entails providing technical support and subject matter equipment expertise of transmission line and electrical substation safety guidelines, maintenance practices and methods, utility industry standards, and regulatory compliance requirements.
- Provide technical guidance for Asset Health Center equipment, including transformer, circuit breaker, and battery test parameters. Examples may be investigating test results that are out of specification, investigating equipment issues, and providing recommended actions.
- Provide technical guidance for parameters of future assets to be incorporated into the Asset Health Center, such as capacitor banks, voltage transformers, relay & controls, equipment monitors, DC systems, and protection communication devices.
- Support the Asset Management group spare inventory for transmission-level equipment, including transformers, circuit breakers, DC systems, disconnects switches, and protective relays and communication devices.
- Development of Capital Projects to address substation condition items in support of a 5-year portfolio for EtF, ATSI, MAIT, JCP&L, TrAILCo, KATCO, and the stated rate companies to improve transmission system reliability.
- Development of new or modification of existing maintenance practices to address changing technology, new equipment types, improved test and diagnostic methods, regulatory changes, etc.
- Support of training programs and provide training to TSS employees and regional personnel.
- Reviewing field test results for transmission & distribution substation equipment and providing recommendations for resolution.
- Development of repair specifications for major equipment.
- Providing technical support to commissioning and maintenance engineers during capital projects, and preventative & corrective maintenance activities.
- Maintaining awareness of emerging utility industry issues through benchmarking and participation in appropriate utility forums/groups.
- Assist with developing and maintaining the department’s SharePoint site.
- Participating in industry events as a subject matter expert.
- Maintaining a safe workplace for coworkers and the community based upon a developing knowledge of potential hazards, industry regulations/requirements and company practices.
- Supporting the development of corporate programs and policies; assist others tasked with leading organizational change.
- Assisting senior technical staff in developing solutions to complex technical assignments.
- Supporting the emergency plan through participation in assigned storm duties including hazard responding.
- Consistently anticipating customer needs and deliver high quality results.
- Ability to work both independently and in unison with others including regional and plant personnel as well as other departments/sections and outside vendors. Willingness to travel throughout the FirstEnergy system including periodic overnight stays.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in engineering from an ABET accredited school required or be a professionally certified engineer (PE License) and have a Bachelor of Science Degree in a technical subject (Engineering Technology, Physics, etc.). Electrical Engineering preferred.
- A Professional Engineering (PE) License in one of the states served by FirstEnergy (Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland or New Jersey) is preferred.
- A Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Certificate is preferred.
- Minimum of 3 (three) years of Engineering experience is required.
- Working knowledge of applicable computer software necessary to fulfill job duties including but not limited to Microsoft Office, knowledge of FileNet, SAP, Cascade, preferred
- SharePoint design & maintenance, and programing experience a plus but not a requirement.
- Valid driver’s license and have access to reliable transportation.
- Must possess a safety culture and maintain a safe work environment for co-workers and the public.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and be able to work effectively under the pressure of deadlines, unexpected developments, changes in project scope, budget constraints, unforeseen field problems and demands on time for work assignments outside of the normal duties.
- Strong interpersonal skills and develop and maintain relationships across FE, with outside firms and manufacturers that further facilitate the cooperation needed to complete assigned tasks and that will inspire others to achieve, or exceed, goals.
- Ability to work independently as well as in teams to coordinate designs with other FirstEnergy areas of responsibility including Siting and Permitting, Project Management, Maintenance, Forestry, Real Estate and Construction, as well as FEU Operations personnel.
- Ability to make practical decisions without undue delay and based on the best information available at the time that the decision must be made.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with good verbal skills and writing skills, providing comprehensive project status reports, clear and concise correspondence, and accurate information.
- Must possess strong organizational, computer, and problem-solving skills.
- Must be self-directed and not dependent on detailed instruction from others.
- Ability to effectively lead multi-discipline team initiatives
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team