Transmission Design Engineer (45568)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirtsEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU]
The Transmission Engineer designs and conducts analyses of a variety of wood and steel transmission structures and structure foundations, calculates wire sags and clearances using PLS-CADD, calculates NESC and OSHA clearance requirements, develops design packages for construction, creates bills-of-material for transmission line projects, creates standards and associated process flows for transmission structures and lines, conducts a variety of technical research and analysis, interprets results and assists in implementation activities. The ideal candidate will possess working knowledge of PLS-CADD. Additional experience with the Power Line Systems design suite, and foundation design experience using FAD Tools, Ensoft or similar program suites are a plus.
The successful candidate will provide a high level of service, continuous support, and proactive involvement surrounding technical subject matter to leadership and peers and will maintain a safe workplace for co-workers and the community based upon knowledge of potential hazards and industry regulations/requirements.
- Developing and maintaining a safe environment for the transmission line network to ensure the safety of co-workers, contractors, work crews and the general public.
- Creating engineering designs and standards for transmission line projects that include wood and steel structures and structure foundations, line plan and profile, wire arrangements, field reports, transmission switch drawings and wire sag charts.
- Directing survey crews and drafting personnel to gather and record data for transmission line design.
- Supporting work crews during construction including office work and field visits.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in teams to coordinate designs with other FirstEnergy areas of responsibility including Siting and Permitting, Project Development, Project Management, Maintenance, Forestry, Real Estate, Substations and Construction, as well as the Regional operating companies.
- Working with various industry and regulatory groups as required to learn and advocate industry best practices (e.g., EPRI, CEATI, EEI, NATF, etc.).
- Appearing on behalf of FirstEnergy at local public zoning hearings and planning committee meetings, and state utility commission hearings as a subject matter expert.
- Providing engineering support and mentorship to employees to assist in their learning of transmission line standards, procedures, designs and associated issues.
- Reviewing transmission line encroachments to ensure NESC clearance requirements are met. Coordinating encroachment responses with ROW Services and Transmission Line Maintenance personnel and ensure the public safety is protected.
- Providing assistance during emergencies and storm related activities. Storm response duties may include time out of the office.
- May be required to travel throughout the FE system and to other industry-related activities as necessary supporting FirstEnergy transmission initiatives.
- Bachelor’s of Science degree in Civil, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering (BSCE, BSEE, BSME) from an ABET accredited institution is required. Civil Engineering is preferred. In lieu of a degree, a Professional Engineer’s (PE) License is required.
- A Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Certificate is preferred.
- Minimum of 3 (three) years of Engineering experience is required.
- Demonstrated leadership skills; capable of communicating, motivating, and driving positive change and improvement.
- Must possess strong organizational, computer and problem- solving skills.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and PLS-CADD is a plus.
- Demonstrated abilities of effective analytical and reasoning capabilities, good communication skills, including ability to effectively structure and confidently present information to peers, industry work groups, regulatory bodies, and leadership of FirstEnergy.
- Must be able to handle a variety of complex issues and assignments.
- Must adhere to FirstEnergy's Code of Conduct and industry compliance obligations.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team