Distinguished Engineer- API Enterprise Architecture ( 600187-1B )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
You will assess, define and create/evolve Enterprise Architecture artifacts (L1 and L2 architectures). Partner with technology and business leaders from multiple Verizon teams (across the enterprise) in defining and evolving the next generation Enterprise Architecture. Ensure consistency and technical alignment across Enterprise (across Consumer, Business andCorporate Systems) groups.
- Define and evolve the Northstar Reference Architecture used by application teams enterprise-wide.
- Create architecture blueprints leveraging technologies and architecture patterns like MicroServices architecture, event-driven architecture (EDA), containers, serverless computing, and data analytics.
- Assist multiple teams align their architectures and technology toolset to ensure reuse of skill and technologies across the enterprise.
- Support technology selections by validating that selected technologies address architecture needs.
- Design and develop a reference implementation (working code) that aligns with the Northstar Reference Architecture.
- Drive reference implementations (arch projects) independently (whether defining new /evolving architectures or supporting vendor product evaluations).
- Assist development teams with defining and implementing a transitional architecture (i.e., how they evolve where there are today to the Northstar).
- Work with and lead a small virtual team and work with a sense of urgency.
- Stay abreast with industry evolution in the architecture space.
- Conduct necessary POCs to validate new architecture patterns.
- Conduct brown-bags and assist other team members as necessary to complete architecture tasks.
- Perform advisory role to senior leadership and influence key technology decisions.
- Coach and mentor development teams.
Where you'll be working…
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience RESTful Web Services / API architecture experience.
- Experience architecting and designing solutions for deployment on API management platforms (e.g., Apigee).
- Willingness to travel 25% of the time.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Master’s Degree.
- Ten or more years of relevant work experience (i.e., having functioned as a Solutions or Enterprise Architect).
- Technical skills (breadth and depth) across multiple areas including Consumer, B2B, and Internal channels.
- Experience with Enterprise Security solutions.
- Experience in Practices (e.g., Secure Coding Practices, IAM Solutions).
- Experience spanning from Digital to Assisted to Packaged solutions.
- Experience with containerization platforms, such as Docker, Kubernetes, and PCF.
- Experience with cloud computing platforms like AWS, GCP, and Azure.
- Experience with Domain Driven Design, API First Approaches, AI/ML, Data Governance, Analytics, Cloud, and SAAS/PAAS platforms.
- Experience with Packaged Solutions (e.g., Siebel, Oracle, Peoplesoft).
- Experience with all phases of the Software Development Lifecycle, including system analysis, design, coding, testing, debugging, and documentation.
- Experience with both relational and no-sql databases such as Oracle, UDB, Cassandra, MongoDB, and Amazon Aurora.
- Experience with App servers such as Nginx, Apache, Tomcat, JBoss, Websphere, and WebLogic.
- Knowledge/experience with TMForum practices.
- Ability to code complex problems in Java, .NET, C, C++ or equivalent language and Mobile technologies (i.e., iOS and Android).
- Ability to create clear and detailed technical diagrams and documentation.
- Teamwork and collaboration skills to work across organizations and to lead cross-functional teams.
- Problem solving skills to develop quick yet sound solutions to resolve complex issues.
- Experience with AWS solutions (AWS Solutions Architect Certification).
- Communication and stakeholder management skills.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical, religious, or state law recognized reasons).