QA / QC Engineer (55009)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU]
The job of Substation Design Engineer QA/QC requires an individual to be self-directed with an interest and / or ability to review engineering designs, equipment and standards for the Substation Engineering group within FirstEnergy. This position will work with a staff of reviewers and interact with engineers, drafters / layouts, designers, both internal and external, engaged in a wide variety of engineering design. This position will report on the progress of design project reviews and advise of any issues that could impair the successful completion of the project review on a proactive basis. This position must provide project reviews in a timely manner to ensure projects meet the required issue for construction (IFC) date.
- Conducting engineering design reviews for substation projects. Possible items including QA/QC checklists, one lines, schematics, detail wiring diagrams, and nameplates.
- Reviewing QA/QC checklists for all substation projects and return in a timely manner according to the scheduled date.
- Reviewing IFC designs for all substation projects and return in a timely manner according to the scheduled date.
- Preparing review packages and sending out to designers/lead engineers, supervisors in a timely manner according to the schedule date.
- Tracking and entering design issues in the design issue tracker database after each project review
- Reviewing NESC clearance requirements and ensuring public safety is protected.
- Working with internal and outside engineering firms.
- Providing engineering support to employees to assist in their learning of standards, procedures, designs, and associated issues.
- Analyzing engineering issues, and recommending appropriate solutions and/or alternate design options.
- Reviewing manufacturer drawings for compliance with specifications.
- Validating equipment ratings where necessary based on accurate documentation provided.
- Supporting communication across business units regarding project review. Convening project QA/QC compliance review meetings with necessary parties when required to assure questions and concerns are addressed in a timely manner.
- Researching and exploring new ideas that will effectively enable QA/QC work processes to be automated increasing efficiencies while decreasing the risk of human error.
- Ensuring standards & equipment, and protection specifications are, reviewing against and best practices are utilized accordingly.
- Participating in industry meetings to confirm FirstEnergy has a voice in direction of industry (i.e. IEEE, EPRI, etc.).
- Ability to obtain Engineer in Training and Professional Engineering license is preferred. Future advancement likely linked to ability to stamp and seal engineering design drawings as a Professional Engineer, when necessary.
- Supporting and sustaining FirstEnergy as a high performing organization by contributing to excellent organizational performance and values of FirstEnergy through responsible effective work performance.
- Bachelor’s of Science degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) from an ABET accredited institution is required. In lieu of a degree, a Professional Engineer’s (PE) License is required.
- A Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Certificate is preferred.
- Minimum of 3 (three) years of Engineering experience is required.
- Working knowledge of applicable computer software necessary to fulfill job duties including but not limited to Microsoft Office, AutoCAD and Bluebeam. Knowledge of FileNet, SAP, and Cascade a plus but not a requirement.
- Valid driver’s license and have access to reliable transportation.
- Must embrace a safety culture and maintain a safe work environment for co-workers and the public.
- Must be able to manage “multiple projects simultaneously” and be able to work effectively under the pressure of deadlines, unexpected developments, changes in project scope, budget constraints, unforeseen field problems and demands on time for work assignments outside of the normal duties.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and develop and maintain relationships across FE, with outside firms and manufacturers that further facilitate the cooperation needed to complete assigned tasks and that will inspire others to achieve, or exceed, goals.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in teams to coordinate design reviews with others.
- Ability to make practical decisions without undue delay and based on the best information available at the time that the decision must be made.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with good verbal skills and writing skills, providing comprehensive project status reports, clear and concise correspondence, and accurate information.
- Must possess strong organizational, computer, and problem solving skills.
- Must be self-directed and not dependent on detailed instruction from others.
- Ability to support numerous locations, must be willing to travel throughout the service area and to manufacturer locations, and to work extra and irregular hours.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team