Distinguished Engineer-System Architecture ( 600227-1B )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
- Providing functional, and technical leadership to VCOSP (Verizon Cloud Object Storage Platform) DevOps including architecture, design, and implementation of solutions using industry-standard tools and technologies.
- Enabling/Supporting CI/CD automation using end-to-end pipelines covering builds, deployments, security scans, code scans, and integration testing using tools like Jenkins, bamboo, Git etc.
- Working closely with engineers, Operations, Product Managers and other clients and partners of the DevOps team to meet the needs of the organization to stay competitive - from the infrastructure up to the highest level of application's availability and scalability at optimum performance level.
- Continuously analyzing current processes and practices and suggesting/driving improvements.
- Enabling canary deployments and blue/green environment setup as part of zero touch environment maintenance.
- Analyzing competitive products and technologies and making appropriate suggestions (may use demos, POCs) to influence product/technology direction.
- Deploying, maintaining and troubleshooting K8s/Cloud/DevOps platform including application servers, cloud resources, API management and integration, Single Sign-On, endpoints, and databases.
- Building and configuring Kubernetes-based infrastructure, network policies, LBs, and cluster security
- Automating the build of containerized systems with CI/CD tools, Helm charts, and more.
- Managing deployments and rollbacks of applications
- Monitoring and analyzing hardware resources, security, operating system, service logs, and metrics for performance issues using centralized tools.
Where you'll be working…
This is a work-from-home role performed almost exclusively from your home office with occasional in-person meetings and training.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, or fouror more years ofwork experience.
- Sixor more years of relevant work experience.
- Relevance DevOpswork experience supporting Docker/K8s
- Experience in setting up CNI solutions for K8 like Calico
- Experience working with web server technologies like Apache, IBM HttpServer; Application Server expertise like Websphere, WebLogic and Tomcat.
- Expertise in programming in languages like Java, golang, and shell scripting.
- Experience in Application Monitoring and Logging tools like ELK, Splunk, Prometheus, New Relic, Kibana, Grafana.
- Expertise in networking concepts like subnets, routing, DNS, VPN.
- Experience with Load Balancers: NGINX, HAproxy, GLB, AKAMAI/EdgeCast, ALB/ELB.
- Experience in Identity Management with familiarity in one or more of the areas like Single Sign On, Identity Federation.
- Experience in reviewing application performance metrics and proactively addressing performance concerns.
- Experience in analyzing, and implementing disaster recovery solutions
- Experience in building high-performance infrastructures that are scalable and resilient.
- Willingness to travel up to approximately 25% of the time.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Experience with CI/CD, and DevOps tools like Bamboo, Jenkins, Git, Ansible, Artifactory, Gitlab, K8s, Linux.
- Experience with database management systems: Cassandra, MongoDB, MySQL, etc.
- K8s Certifications.
- Experience setting up, and operating OpenShift clusters.
- Experience with messaging systems: RabbitMQ, Kafka, JMS, etc.
- Experience in troubleshooting issues and quickly resolve them in an efficient manner that minimizes downtime.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.