Senior Engineer - Data Engineering ( 602574-1C )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon Network Systems team is looking for a passionate Big Data engineer within our location services platform (LOCUS) team to lead the geo-spatial Big Data processing swim lane. In addition to data processing, this role has ownership of application custodian, infrastructure, and primary production support.
This role requires a blend of hands-on Big Data technical expertise, leadership, and project management skills to formulate, execute delivery plans across multiple developers, and communicate with numerous stakeholders including vendor partners about requirements, outcomes.
- You will work closely with business users, product owners as well as peering teams to groom features and technical design that will enable business value.
- As a lead, you will be responsible for designing end-to-end solutions spanning data ingestion, data processing, and data consumption.
- As a hands-on lead, you will be responsible for delivering data processing. This includes geo-spatial data ingestion workflows using FME, Spark / Scala, and Jupyter notebooks. You will be authoring end-to-end Apache Airflow workflows to automate data processing jobs with QA automation integrated within the flow.
- You will be orchestrating the development across multiple developers offshore to deliver quality features and outcomes on a timely basis. You will perform code reviews, prioritize enhancements, estimate efforts, assign tasks to other developers, set and drive timelines. You will be hands-on with Jupyter notebooks to validate the data accuracy before the code is propagated to production.
- As app custodian, you will work with our application engineers to ensure that the application is clear of security vulnerabilities. As primary production support lead, you will guide and monitor DevOps engineers to ensure that application infrastructure, CI/CD pipelines, and production tickets are in healthy state.
- You will be expected to leverage your leadership experience in setting the charter for the junior developers on the team, managing the individual projects and forming strategic partnerships with peer IT teams and business SMEs. You’ll troubleshoot and resolve QA and production issues with urgency. You’ll also provide extended support during release.
- On the project you will gain expertise in location domain encompassing - Addresses, Locations, Plus codes, Geo-spatial data like building / parcel shapes and various third-party products like FME, Pitney Bowes, Trillium / Global Locator, Google APIs, Apache Airflow that provide data processing workflows, address validation, standardization, and geo-coding capabilities.
Where you'll be working:
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field with four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Three or more years of experience with Big data technologies (e.g., Spark, Scala, Pyspark, Hive, EMR, Apache Airflow, Oozie, Jupyter notebooks).
- Two or more years of experience with relational databases (e.g., Oracle, PostgreSQL).
- Two or more years of experience with NoSQL database (e.g., ElasticSearch).
- Four or more years of strong development experience delivering strategic programs.
- CI/CD pipeline development experience.
- Experience in deployment of (Jenkins, Ansible).
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree or Master’s degree in one of the following: Computer Science, Software Engineering, Technology, and/or other relevant field of study.
- Experience with Python or any other scripting language.
- AWS certifications.
- Experience with BASH shell scripting or Perl scripting.
- DevOps container and orchestration tools (Docker, Kubernetes, Puppet, Chef).
- Knowledge of AWS and experience architecting and developing on AWS.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment supporting multiple products across the organization.
- Experience multitasking multiple high priority objectives.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.