Engineer - Capital Portfolio (Ohio)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with the FirstEnergy Service Company, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp [SC00].
This engineer position is within the Ohio Capital Portfolio team. The engineer works on developing the portfolio of capital projects for the Ohio operating companies, assists Operations and Engineering staff with ad hoc requests, and aids in keeping the capital portfolio on time and budget.
This is a hybrid/mobile position working remotely and from its Akron, Ohio location.
- Working safely in a variety of electric utility settings and following all Accident Prevention Handbook (APH) work practices
- Using standard planning and protection tools, including CYME (Distribution Power System Analysis and Protective Device Coordination), Load Forecasting Data Management System, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Viewer, PI ProcessBook, Energy Management System, and PowerOn to develop solutions to capacity and reliability issues
- Providing prompt technical support and analysis to the Distribution Control Center (DCC) during major customer outage events
- Performing reliability analysis studies, querying reliability data, and preparing detailed internal and external reports for management.
- Investigating and answering customer inquiries regarding service quality and reliability
- Analyzing potential distribution impacts of transmission and subtransmission programs, processes, and/or projects
- Preparing cost estimates, schedules, and justification for system improvement projects
- Assisting with required training programs pertaining to data quality, outage reporting, and reliability analysis
- Investigating and reporting on operational events
- Providing a high level of service, continuous support, and proactive involvement regarding technical subject matter to leadership and peers
- Performing and/or providing technical support to complete power quality studies as needed.
- Supporting storm response as a storm analyst, hazard dispatcher, or as assigned
- Working overtime to support storm efforts or other special projects as business needs require
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited institution is required. Engineering Technology degree requires a PE license to meet position requirements.
- Minimum 0 - 5 years' engineering experience is required.
- Successful completion of the FE exam considered a plus.
- Understanding of electrical engineering and utility power system concepts with ability to learn new complex electrical topics quickly.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with an emphasis on understandable and clear technical writing and presentation skills.
- Possess strong knowledge, maturity, and decision-making skills regarding electrical problems and analyzing complex information.
- Detail-oriented, accurate, and able to understand and interpret complex technical information.
- Solid computer skills with competency in Microsoft Office products (particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), along with a working knowledge of CAD and GIS software systems.
- Computer programming ability (including SQL) considered a plus.
- Able to work both independently and in team environments.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to customer satisfaction.
- Self-motivated and a self-starter, customer-focused, results-oriented and a team player.
- Deliver quality, accurate work within established deadlines.
- Possess and maintain a valid state-issued driver's license.
- Willing and able to travel throughout the service territory periodically, and willing to work extra and/or irregular hours during unusual circumstances (e.g. storm restoration efforts).
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team