Transmission Line Design Oversight Engineer - OH, PA, WV, NJ
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU]
There are 2 positions available and can be located in Akron, OH, Greensburg, PA, Reading, PA, Fairmont, WV or Morristown, NJ.
The job of Transmission Line Design Oversight Engineer requires an individual to be self-directed with an interest and / or ability to manage engineering designs, equipment and standards for the External Engineering group within FirstEnergy. This position will work with multiple Engineering design firms, engaged in a wide variety of transmission line engineering design, from the earliest design stages through construction and record update. This position will report on the progress of design projects and advise of any issues that could impair the successful completion of the project on a proactive basis. This position must provide technical support to Substation and Transmission personnel, Real Estate, Project Development, Project Management and Construction crews verifying that no safety standards are compromised, checking for accuracy, and monitoring expenditures to ensure projects stay within budget allocation and meet the required in- service date.
Direct responsibility for overseeing multiple transmission line design projects, across multiple external design firms. This position will work in conjunction with external design resources to deliver and / or facilitate the following:
- Creating engineering designs and work scope for transmission line projects and confirming documentation and support is available to necessary personnel. Possible items including wood and steel structures, foundations, clearances, layout drawings, grounding, lightning protection.
- Transmission Line Design Oversight Engineer will be documenting and entering design issues in the design issue tracker database after each project review.
- Ensuring designs support a safe environment for transmission lines and substations personnel, contractors, and the general public.
- Reviewing bills-of-material and specifications prepared by the design firm to procure needed equipment and materials for a transmission line project.
- Preparing and filing applications and supporting documentation for engineering permits when necessary. Reviewing NESC clearance requirements and ensuring public safety is protected.
- Assisting Real Estate in the acquisition of property by coordinating the preparation of sketches, maps, exhibits and easement plans needed to effectively acquire transmission line rights and easements.
- Directing technical personnel to gather and record data for transmission line design projects. Working with outside engineering firms, vendors, equipment manufacturers and consultants.
- Reviewing manufacturer drawings for compliance with specifications.
- Supporting communication across business units regarding project needs. Convening internal project schedule compliance review meetings with necessary parties to assure deliverables support project schedule and are within the project budget.
- Ensuring standards and equipment specifications are up to date and accurate, reviewing against industry standards and best practices.
- Ability to obtain Engineer in Training and Professional Engineering license is preferred. Future advancement likely linked to ability to stamp and seal engineering design drawings as a Professional Engineer, when necessary.
- Supporting and sustaining FirstEnergy as a high performing organization by contributing to excellent organizational performance and values of FirstEnergy through responsible effective work performance.
- Bachelors of Science degree in Electrical, Civil or Mechanical Engineering (BSEE, BSCE, BSME) from an ABET accredited institution is required. Acceptable alternatives are: (1) a Professional Engineer’s (PE) License (2) a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Civil or Mechanical Engineering or technical field of study (non-ABET) plus an advanced degree in Electrical, Civil or Mechanical Engineering from a university with an ABET accredited Bachelor’s program.
- A Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Certificate is preferred.
- Minimum of 3 (three) years of Engineering experience is required.
- Working knowledge of applicable computer software necessary to fulfill job duties including but not limited to Microsoft Office, Bluebeam, AutoCAD, PLS CADD (Pole, Tower, etc.), MFAD, FileNet, SAP, and CREWS.
- Must embrace a safety culture and maintain a safe work environment for co-workers and the public.
- Must be able to manage “multiple projects simultaneously” and be able to work effectively under the pressure of deadlines, unexpected developments, changes in project scope, budget constraints, unforeseen field problems and demands on time for work assignments outside of the normal duties.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in teams to coordinate designs with other FirstEnergy areas of responsibility including Siting and Permitting, Project Development, Project Management, Maintenance, Forestry, Real Estate and Construction, as well as the Regional operating companies.
- Must possess strong organizational, computer, and problem-solving skills.
- Must be self-directed and not dependent on detailed instruction from others.
- Ability to support numerous locations, must be willing to travel throughout the service area and to manufacturer locations, and to work extra and irregular hours.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team