Data Engineer - Remote
FirstEnergy at a Glance
As one of the nation’s largest electric utility companies with a focus on sustainable energy, FirstEnergy knows that it takes a workforce of highly trained, dedicated, and motivated individuals to generate and deliver safe and reliable power. Our Information Technology (IT) professionals are at the heart of this workforce, playing a key role in helping our business units achieve business goals in the generation, transmission and distribution of electricity. As a result, FirstEnergy invests in the success of its people through continuous development opportunities to develop and refine skills support career advancement. FirstEnergy is proud to develop new experiences for both employees and customers and is committed to developing a diverse workforce, reflective of the communities we serve, by recruiting and retaining talented employees from a variety of backgrounds
FirstEnergy’s in-house, centralized IT organization creates and maintains software solutions, and operates FirstEnergy data centers, service desks and voice/data networks. As an IT Professional at FirstEnergy, you will be given a wide range of opportunities to collaborate with people across the company and will be exposed to an exciting and cutting-edge technology stack. You will also be exposed to Agile ways of working in an environment that embraces diversity of thought, where you will be encouraged to innovate and explore new ideas.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
The ability to work remotely within the United States may be available based on business need. This option is not available in the states of California, Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Montana, Nebraska, New York, Oregon or Washington at this time.
What you’ll do:
The Data Management team within FirstEnergy’s Information Technology group is responsible for the design, development and enhancement of Data Warehousing and Analytics applications. We seek an individual that can confidently play the role of a Data Engineer during Data Lake / Data Warehouse development. A Data Engineer at FirstEnergy works closely with Business Systems or Business resources to make appropriate technological choices; proceeds to architect and design the required application. This role requires deep understanding of data architecture, data engineering, data analysis, reporting, and a basic understanding of data science techniques and workflows. The ideal candidate is a skilled data and software engineer with experience creating data products supporting analytic solutions.
A Data Engineer at FirstEnergy typically performs the following activities during the application development process:
- Requirements analysis: In conjunction with a Business Systems team Analyst or independently, work with the business to collect, document and review functional and non-functional requirements for the application
- Solutions maintenance: Responsible for maintaining the data warehousing platforms and all components of MemSQL/SingleStore, Teradata and legacy Oracle Data Marts.
- Architect: In conjunction with a Business Systems team Analyst or independently, decompose the application into various components and make appropriate technological choices in the implementation and integration of the components also giving due consideration to availability, recovery, security, performance, and governance requirements.
- Analysis and design: Define and document the logical data model and create the physical data model in a database. Define and create Data Lake and Data Warehousing models for reporting or analytics. Identify the various contributing source systems and source data elements; help define & build the extraction functions to obtain the source data supporting change data capture. Define and document the various data transformations that must occur during this process. Incorporate maintainability, security and performance requirements into the design and specifications.
- Build and test: Create physical data model. Implement data extraction functions and transformation logic. Document all design and specifications. Document metadata information. Develop early prototypes for the application, as necessary. Support the development of complex logic or functions necessary that help the organization’s business achieve their goals.
- Communicate design and logic to business users by explaining how a data model relates, where the data comes from, and logic used in the ETL (extract, transform, load) process. After doing the analysis to understand it, a verbal, written, or interactive explanation must be given to the interested parties. Foster a culture of sharing, re-use, design for scale stability, and operational efficiency of data and analytical solutions.
What You’ll need to be qualified
- You have a bachelor’s degree in a quantitative discipline such as Computer Science or another related field with 7 years related experience.
- Your related experience should include knowledge of: Agile/Scrum Methodologies, RDBMS, and ETL
- You are willing to undertake assignments involving unfamiliar subjects and demonstrate aptitude to learn quickly.
- You are highly motivated; can work independently with a high level of productivity.
- You excel at communicating complex ideas and concepts both verbally and through writing.
- You have experience with development and tuning on RDBMS technology such as Teradata, SingleStore, Oracle or SQL Server.
- You have knowledge and experience in development and tuning of ETL processes using PowerCenter, Informatica Data Replication (IDR), or other comparable tools.
- You have experience in creating, analyzing, and documenting ER and Dimensional models, preferably with ERWIN experience.
- Preferably you have experience in using the Kimball methodology to design and develop Enterprise Data Warehouses and Data Marts.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and plan activities, multitask and meet deadlines.
- Willingness and ability to mentor less experienced personnel. Encourages, supports, and challenges team members as necessary.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours and be available during on-call rotation.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team