Reliability Engineer - Towanda, PA
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with the FirstEnergy Service Company, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
The Reliability engineer performs analyses and recommends solutions to maintain a reliable electrical infrastructure that meets present and future electrical needs. The engineer is accountable for the reliability and assessment of Penelec’s distribution systems.
This position is within PA Operations – Towanda and is sited at the Towanda office location.
- Working safely in accordance with the Company’s Accident Prevention Handbook.
- Assessing and improving the electrical distribution system’s reliability performance within a specific operations area
- Performing outage analysis, including analysis of circuit lockouts, in support of the Company's reliability initiatives.
- Investigating Frequent Device Outages, unknown outages for all line fuses and upstream devices, overloaded transformer issues and Customer Minutes of Interruption (CMI) issues and make recommendations as appropriate.
- Completing CEMI (Customer Experiencing Multiple Interruptions) and WPC (Worst Performing Circuit) analysis and recommend reliability improvements.
- Investigating and responding to customer reliability inquiries received through regulatory agencies, Company officers and/or Company processes.
- Preparing budget estimates and schedules for distribution system reliability projects.
- Performing power quality studies as needed.
- Monitoring field inoperable equipment logs for remediation needs.
- Maintaining familiarity with state regulatory requirements for distribution inspection and maintenance.
- Initiating and tracking Unsatisfactory Performance Report (UPR).
- Supporting the storm process as needed, either as a hazard dispatcher/responder, storm analyst or line shop analyst.
- Developing and providing technical information to support the Distribution Control Center to ensure safe and efficient operation of the electrical system.
- May be assigned special projects as business needs require.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited school is required. Engineering Technology degrees require a PE license to meet position requirements.
- Minimum 0 to 3 years' engineering experience is required.
- Experience and knowledge of electrical systems, operations, and maintenance practices, switching and tagging, computer systems, work management and electrical controls are desired. Relay control work experience is a plus.
- Current knowledge of National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and National Electric Code (NEC).
- Understand the Company’s Accident Handbook, Manual of Operations, and their practical application in the workplace.
- Interpret work requests, engineering drawings, schematics, equipment instruction manuals and procedures to develop accurate work plans.
- Demonstrated experience in effectively working and communicating across functional boundaries and providing total customer satisfaction.
- Willing to travel throughout the service territory and to work extra and/or irregular hours.
- Have access to a personal vehicle to commute to various facilities and locations as required, possessing a valid driver’s license.
- Self-motivated and a self-starter, customer focused, results-oriented team player.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Able to analyze data, write technical reports, develop work packages to implement recommendations and handle multiple assignments.
- Able to apply technical skills to solve practical problems.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team