Transmission Maintenance Engineer
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp.
This Engineering position is part of a team responsible for identifying high voltage transmission maintenance needs throughout the FirstEnergy footprint.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Individuals in this position will work with operating company and corporate personnel to generate and maintain a current list of potential transmission projects. Conduct technical engineering reviews and develop designs of civil/electrical/mechanical aspects related to transmission line infrastructure.
- Prioritizing projects based on facility performance, outage history, number of customers impacted, etc.
- Presenting projects to upper management for consideration, approval and funding.
- Individuals in this position will also be involved in pre-engineering field review of the facilities, identifying specific project work scope, interact with design engineers and field personnel responsible for project construction.
- Performing periodic quality control field inspections.
- Coordinating and scheduling project meetings with internal and external sources.
- Investigating line operations, causes and identifying remedies to eliminate future operations.
- Interfacing with the North American Transmission Forum (NATF),EPRI, and other external entities as necessary.
- Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Leading discussions with departments inside and outside of the facility in identifying project/process alternatives and solutions.
- Developing and implementing technical process/project improvements and efficiencies with field personnel as necessary.
- Attending and participating in departmental meetings and activities as necessary.
- Reviewing encroachments within our Transmission Rights-of Ways.
- Maintaining a safe workplace for coworkers and the community based upon knowledge of potential hazards and industry regulations/requirements.
- Must possess the ability to deliver quality, accurate work within established deadlines.
- The ability to mentor Rotational Engineers and Co-Ops that enter the department.
An employee hired at the Engineer IV level will be expected to perform all of the above responsibilities with more proficiency, and in a more independent manner. Further, the Engineer IV level employee will be assigned additional responsibilities related to those above.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Civil, or Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited institution is required. Acceptable alternatives are: (1) a Professional Engineer’s (PE) License (2) a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Civil, or Mechanical Engineering or technical field of study (non-ABET) plus an advanced degree in Electrical Engineering, Civil, or Mechanical Engineering from a university with an ABET accredited Bachelor’s program.
- A Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Certificate is preferred.
- Minimum of 3 (three) years of Engineering experience is required.
- Knowledge of the electric transmission system, reliability standards and regional transmission organizations is preferred.
- Knowledge of NESC, NERC, and RF standards and policies of the electric utility industry is preferred.
- Experience in analyzing complex problems and demonstrating good judgment in decision making is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to manage diverse projects dealing with schedule, cost tracking and budget control.
- Demonstrated experience in accomplishing responsibilities in a timely manner through maximizing organizational resources, financial decision making and employing logical engineering approaches.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, with multiple departments in multiple locations.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills and ability to perform in a professional manner including the ability to make formal technical presentations to various management levels.
- Proficient computer skills (Microsoft Office) and AutoCAD required with core understanding of applicable technical products and/or services.
- Ability to work in both an office and field environment.
- Willing and able to support travel to various company locations (including overnight travel) as needed.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team