Planning Engineer (Water Utility) (100009)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Responsible for strategic long term water system planning and recommending projects or approaches to address needs related to source of supply, treatment, storage, pumping and transmission of water. The analysis and recommended solutions will affect the performance and operational integrity of water systems within American Water. A Planning Engineer also has technical and project management supervision over consulting Project Managers/Engineers, and/or project support engineers or technicians. This position is also responsible for conducting or reviewing water system capacity and service evaluations associated with water service extension projects or other potential service growth opportunities. Prepare or assist in the preparation of detailed asset investment plans considering the cost, timing, prioritization, operational need and risk, strategic investment fit and other pertinent factors surrounding individual projects or investment programs.Key Accountabilities
- Coordination and preparation of strategic water system planning studies (comprehensive or targeted, issue based studies as appropriate) as assigned. (50%)
- Preparation and maintenance of asset investment plans and strategic capital expenditure plans as assigned. Plans to accurately address operational needs, operational efficiencies, asset management and strategic investment goals set by the Corporation based upon prioritization models. (20%)
- System capacity evaluations, analysis of source, production, distribution, storage, or other system deficiencies as assigned to support ongoing operations, service extension requests or regional growth opportunities. (10%)
- Ability to serve as a competent technical resource on Water System
- Planning matters including capital planning, safe yield analysis, demand projections, production adequacy, transmission and distribution adequacy, computerized hydraulic modeling and analysis, water conservation, regionalization, and other pertinent subjects as needed to support operational and business needs. Present results of engineering analysis to interested parties within and outside ofthe company, including expert testimony, presentations to Regulatory agencies and Senior Company Management. (10%)
- Pursues educational opportunities and professional development to enhance performance and contributions to the organization. (5%)
- Contribute to effective communication by listening and providing constructive feedback; supporting the creation of an open and honest work environment; cascading and sharing knowledge and information relevant to other members of the team and colleagues across the business. (5%)
- Demonstrated competency in asset planning, water system comprehensive master planning, distribution system hydraulic modeling or equivalent water system design experience.
- Broad knowledge of Engineering (planning, design, construction) related to water facilities.
- Working knowledge of regulatory developments, new technology and current trends in water quality, treatment and Engineering economics.
- Applicable knowledge of water resources industry, business and environmental regulatory field.
- Knowledge of Company Operations.
- Leadership ability and interpersonal skills, as well as, solid verbal and written communication skills and keen listening abilities.
- Detail oriented to conduct through analysis and evaluations, render and implement timely decisions and recommendations.
- Minimum 5 years experience in water resources planning.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license required.
Up to 20%Competencies Champions safetyCustomer obsessedCultivates innovationNimble learningDrives ResultsCollaborates
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.