Planning Engineer (Water Utility) (99480)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger and more successful.
Virginia American Water, part of the American Water Family, currently has an excellent career opportunity for a Planning Engineer for the Alexandria office. This role is responsible for strategic long-term water and wastewater system planning and recommending projects or approaches to address needs related to source of supply, treatment, storage, pumping and transmission of water as well as collection, equalization, and treatment of wastewater.
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company.
The Planning Engineer has technical and project management supervision over consulting Project Managers/Engineers, and/or project support engineers or technicians. This position is also responsible for conducting or reviewing water and wastewater system capacity and service evaluations associated with water or sewer service extension projects or other potential service growth opportunities. Preparing or assisting in the preparation of detailed asset investment plans considering the cost, timing, prioritization, operational need and risk, strategic investment fit and other pertinent factors surrounding individual projects or investment programs.Key Accountabilities
Coordination and preparation of strategic water and wastewater system planning studies (comprehensive or targeted, issue-based studies as appropriate) as assigned.
- Preparation and maintenance of asset investment plans and strategic capital expenditure plans as assigned. Plans to accurately address operational needs, operational efficiencies, asset management and strategic investment goals set by the Corporation based upon prioritization models.
- System capacity evaluations, analysis of source, production, distribution, storage, or other system deficiencies as assigned to support ongoing operations, service extension requests or regional growth opportunities.
- Ability to serve as a competent technical resource on Water and Wastewater System Planning matters including capital planning, source water safe yield analysis, demand/inflow projections, treatment adequacy, transmission and distribution adequacy, collection adequacy, inflow and infiltration, computerized hydraulic modeling and analysis, water conservation, regionalization, and other pertinent subjects as needed to support operational and business needs. Present results of engineering analysis to interested parties within and outside of the company, including expert testimony, presentations to Regulatory agencies and Senior Company Management.
- Pursues educational opportunities and professional development to enhance performance and contributions to the organization.
- Contribute to effective communication by listening and providing constructive feedback; supporting the creation of an open and honest work environment; cascading and sharing knowledge and information relevant to other members of the team and colleagues across the business.
- Support Engineering initiatives (i.e., asset management or other operational excellence initiatives).
- Demonstrated competency in asset planning, water system comprehensive master planning, distribution system hydraulic modeling or equivalent water system design experience.
- Broad knowledge of Engineering (planning, design, construction) related to water facilities.
- Working knowledge of regulatory developments, new technology and current trends in water quality, treatment and Engineering economics.
- Applicable knowledge of water resources industry, business and environmental regulatory field.
- Leadership ability and interpersonal skills, as well as, solid verbal and written communication skills and keen listening abilities.
- Detail oriented to conduct through analysis and evaluations, render and implement timely decisions and recommendations
- Analysis and Problem Solving - Analyzes and resolves business issues through the application of critical reasoning skills and general business experience.
- Delivers Results - Delivers bottom line results through bold, decisive actions, working through risks and uncertainty to create opportunity. Continually raises standards and promotes entrepreneurial behavior.
- Influencing - The ability to articulate an objective or idea in a compelling manner, so that others are persuaded to act on its merit.
- Organizational Awareness - The knowledge and development of formal and informal business relationships with key stakeholders, internal and external to the organization, that enable business objectives to be accomplished.
- Sharing Knowledge & Expertise - Drives business performance by developing and contributing specific technical or professional knowledge, skills and experience. Demonstrates a professional attitude.
- Strategic Focus - Looks at the big picture, thinks about the business as a whole, both within its own environment and in the global marketplace, and creatively identifies new horizons.
- Teamworking - Is committed to working collaboratively to achieve business goals, building cohesiveness and identity with a work group, and valuing individual perspectives and contributions.
- Minimum 5 years experience in water resources planning.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license required.
Up to 20%Work Environment
80% office with occasional work in the field.Competencies Champions safetyCustomer obsessedCultivates innovationNimble learningDrives ResultsCollaborates
With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.