Staff Engineer (Water Utility) (100010)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
This position is responsible for conducting or reviewing water system capacity and service evaluations associated with water service extension projects or other potential service growth opportunities. Responsible for assisting with strategic, long-term water system planning and recommending projects or approaches to address needs related to source of supply, treatment, storage, pumping and transmission of water.Key Accountabilities
- System capacity evaluations, analysis of source, production, distribution, storage, or other system deficiencies as assigned to support ongoing operations, service extensio requests or regional growth opportunities.
- Coordination and preparation of strategic water system planning studies (comprehensive or targeted, issue based studies as appropriate) as assigned.
- Ability to serve as competent technical resource on Water System Planning matters including safe yield analysis, demand projections, production adequacy, transmission and distribution adequacy, computerized hydraulic modeling and analysis, and other pertinent subjects as needed to support operational and business needs.
- Provide technical expertise on engineering and operational issues.
- Broad knowledge of engineering (planning, design, construction) related to water facilities.
- Knowledge of asset planning, water system comprehensive master planning, destribution system hyrdaulic modeling or equivalent water system design experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering design theory and practice, water resources, water/wastewater facilities and utility operations.
- Knowledge of current trends in water quality and treatment and other aspects of the regulated and nonregulated water industry.
- General understanding of US regulations (commercial and environmental), legislation and trends impacting the water industry.
- Sound business acumen and judgment.
- Quantitative Skills (e.g. analytical, technical, problem solving).
- Written and verbal communications (e.g. fluency in report writing and presentations).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering.
- Minimum 2 years experience in water resources engineering.
- Engineer in Training (EIT) preferred.
20%Competencies Champions safetyCustomer obsessedCultivates innovationNimble learningDrives ResultsCollaborates
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.