Senior Cloud Engineer - Architecture and Ops (1188)
Pearson has one defining goal: to help people progress in their lives through learning. We champion innovation and we invest in models for education that deliver on our promise for effective, accessible, and personal learning from early literacy, college and career readiness to professional education, through data informed instruction and inventive applications for mobile and digital learning.
Pearson, the world's leading learning company, has global-reach and market leading businesses in education, business, and consumer publishing and is listed on the London and New York stock exchanges (UK: PSON; NYSE: PSO). For more information, visit www.pearson.com.
The Personalized Learning and Analytics team (PLA) in Pearson is responsible for software development of analytics and machine learning platforms. PLA is growing and we are looking for a new team member. Together with a highly multi-disciplinary team of engineers, scientists, strategic partners, product managers and subject domain experts you will work on building solutions powered by big data. You will work on a best-in-class cloud computing platform, with cutting edge big data tools at your disposal while having access to experts in education, engineering and data science.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Develop scalable data processing pipelines
- Collaborate with other scientists and engineers to find effective solutions to technical challenges
- Provide input for product road maps
- Work closely with engineers to build, test, deploy and troubleshoot machine learning algorithms designed to enhance the learner’s experience
- Work with product partners and stakeholders to communicate expectations and deliver on them
- Research, design, and develop statistics or statistical models where applicable to monitor usage/performance and help make data driven decisions
- Create machine learning microservices and have a willingness to maintain our Kubernetes cluster
- Be involved in the development, maintenance and evolution of our services and products
- Bachelors degree in computer science, statistics, mathematics, physical science, engineering, or a comparable related technical field or equivalent years of experience.
- Desire to explore and develop solutions to questions that may or may not have a right answer
- Demonstrated mastery in communication of technical ideas to non-technical audiences
- Ability to translate customer goals into practical engineering solutions
- Good understanding of foundational statistics concepts and algorithms: linear/logistic regression, random forest, boosting, NNs, etc.
- Passion for learning (new problem domains, algorithms, tools etc.) and for analyzing data
- Strong programming skills with fluency in at least one of Python, Java, Scala, C/C++ Familiar with industry standard software engineering practices and systems knowledge
- Working knowledge of Unix/Linux systems
- Ability to access, manage, transfer, integrate and analyze complex datasets, especially using SQL
- Familiarity with libraries such as pandas, TensorFlow, scikit-learn
- MS or higher in computer science, mathematics or a comparable related technical field
- 2+ years of industry experience in software engineering and data science
- Experience with working on large data sets, especially with Spark
- Experience with Python and Java
- Experience with cloud computing platforms such as AWS or GCP
- Experience with Kubernetes
The anticipated starting salary range for Colorado-based individuals expressing interest in this position is $120-154K. This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program.
Benefits available to eligible employees can be seen at: https://pearsonbenefitsus.com/
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose – to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We are the world’s leading learning company. Learn more at pearsonplc.com.
Pearson believes that wherever learning flourishes, so do people. We are committed to being an anti-racist company in everything we do. We value the power of an inclusive culture and a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm, and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.
To learn more about Pearson’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, please click here:
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other group protected by law.
Organization: Technology & Operations
Req ID: 1188