Engineer - Geotechnical - Akron, Greensburg, Reading, Fairmont or Morristown (40764)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU]
There are 2 positions available and can be located in Akron, OH, Greensburg, PA, Reading, PA, Fairmont, WV or Morristown, NJ.
The job of Engineer, Transmission Geotechnical Design requires an individual to be self-directed with an ability to manage civil and geotechnical projects relating to the investigation, design, construction and maintenance of transmission facilities. This position will work with a staff of engineers, project managers, consultants and environmental specialists engaged in a variety of projects requiring civil/geotechnical engineering design. The Engineer will be engaged in project development through project execution and close-out. This position will report on the progress of design projects and will advise of issues that could impair their successful completion. This position provides geotechnical support for substation and transmission lines while working on project teams with the Substations, Transmission Lines, Real Estate, Project Management, Environmental and Construction departments. The Engineer will verify that no safety standards are compromised, will check and validate design accuracy, and will monitor expenditures to ensure projects stay within budget and meet project in-service dates.
- Maintaining a safety culture to ensure the safety of co-workers, contractors, work crews and the general public.
- Reviewing transmission line and substation projects to identify potential impacts of in situ soil conditions, groundwater hydrology and terrain, to the design and construction of access roads and crane pads, substation site plans (including driveways, cuts and fills, and retaining walls), and slope stability.
- Providing an initial assessment of the need for geotech oversight on transmission line projects, access roads and substation site development projects.
- Soliciting and reviewing proposals from geotech consultants and making recommendations to project teams.
- Overseeing the development of design plans through the hiring of geotechnical consultants and reviewing geotechnical design plans prepared by others.
- Developing project work scopes and preparing estimates for the geotechnical elements of transmission line and substation projects.
- Preparing and/or reviewing engineering design calculations, reports, specifications and construction documents, and other technical documents as needed, in coordination with staff and project team members.
- Directing technical personnel to gather and record data necessary to support report preparation, which may include on-site test witnessing as necessary.
- Providing engineering support to employees to assist in their learning of standards, procedures, designs, and associated issues.
- Perform geotechnical engineering analysis, evaluation and design options related to slope stability evaluations, retaining structures, settlement analysis and earth moving activities.
- Reviewing consultant drawings for compliance with site specific specifications.
- Geotech engineers will be the primary point of contact for emergent slope failures, washouts, sinkholes and other emergent subsurface conditions that have the potential to impact FirstEnergy assets. Geotech engineers will hire and oversee geotechnical consultants who are qualified and staffed to respond quickly to emergent situations and to provide recommendations and design solutions.
- Ensuring standards and specifications are up-to-date and accurate, reviewing against industry standards and best practices.
- Participating in industry meetings to confirm FirstEnergy has a voice in the direction of industry (i.e. IEEE, EPRI, NATF, etc.).
- Providing assistance during emergencies and storm related activities. Storm response duties may include time out of the office.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited institution is required. In lieu of degree, a Professional Engineer license (PE) is required. Civil Engineering degree with emphasis in Geotechnical is a plus.
- Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) certification is preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of related experience is required.
- Demonstrated leadership skills; capable of communicating, motivating, and driving positive change and improvement.
- Must possess strong organizational and problem-solving skills, as well as working knowledge of applicable computer software necessary to fulfill job duties including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office and AutoCAD. Additional skills in Ensoft, FAD Tools or similar program suite are a plus.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with good verbal skills and writing skills, providing comprehensive project status reports, clear and concise correspondence, and accurate information.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to handle a variety of complex issues and assignments.
- Must demonstrate a questioning attitude to continue to learn, produce results, and strengthen existing relationships.
- Must adhere to FirstEnergy's Code of Conduct and industry compliance obligations.
- Must be willing to travel throughout the service territory to project work sites.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team