FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU]
There are 3 open positions for the Akron, OH office.
The job of Substation Design Engineer requires an individual to be self-directed with an interest and / or ability to create and manage engineering designs, equipment and standards for the Substation Engineering group within FirstEnergy. This position will work within a staff of engineers, survey crews, drafters / layouts, both internal and external, engaged in a wide variety of engineering design, from the request for project estimation through construction and record update. This position will report on the progress of design projects and advise of any issues that could impair the successful completion of the project on a proactive basis. This position must provide technical support to Substation and Transmission personnel, Real Estate, Project Management and Construction crews verifying that no safety standards are compromised, checking for accuracy, and monitoring expenditures to ensure projects stay within budget allocation and meet the required in-service date.
- Creating engineering designs and work scope for substation projects and confirming documentation and support is available to necessary personnel. Possible items including steel structures, foundations, clearances, layout drawings, grounding, oil containment, lightning protection, schematics, and wiring diagrams.
- Ensuring designs support a safe environment for transmission lines and substations personnel, contractors and the general public.
- Preparing bills-of-material and specifications to procure needed equipment and materials for a substation project.
- Preparing and filing applications and supporting documentation for engineering permits when necessary. PE preferred.
- Reviewing NESC clearance requirements and Maintenance personnel and ensure the public safety is protected.
- Assisting Real Estate in the acquisition of Substation property by coordinating the preparation of sketches, maps, exhibits and easement plans.
- Directing technical personnel to gather and record data for substation design projects.
- Working with outside engineering firms, vendors, equipment manufacturers and consultants.
- Providing engineering support to employees to assist in their learning of standards, procedures, designs, and associated issues.
- Analyzing engineering issues, structures, equipment, etc., and recommending appropriate solutions and alternate design options.
- Preparing estimates for proposed projects.
- Reviewing manufacturer drawings for compliance with specifications.
- Conducting design reviews, plant audits, and test witnessing at manufacturer’s facilities as necessary.
- Evaluating equipment ratings and requirements, and project schedules to facilitate the accurate ordering of equipment to support project in service dates.
- Managing equipment orders for Substation projects from the initial request for equipment through delivery (technical details, bid evaluation, schedule, drawing review, design review, action items testing, and delivery).
- Supporting communication across business units regarding project needs. Convening internal project schedule compliance review meetings with necessary parties to assure deliverables support project schedule and are within the project budget.
- Researching and exploring new technologies that will effectively enable work processes to be automated increasing efficiencies while decreasing the risk of human error.
- Ensuring standards and equipment specifications are up to date and accurate, reviewing against industry standards and best practices.
- Participating in industry meetings to confirm FirstEnergy has a voice in direction of industry (i.e. IEEE, EPRI, etc.).
- Ability to obtain Engineer in Training and Professional Engineering license is preferred. Future advancement likely linked to ability to stamp and seal engineering design drawings as a Professional Engineer, when necessary.
- Supporting and sustaining FirstEnergy as a high performing organization by contributing to excellent organizational performance and values of FirstEnergy through responsible effective work performance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited school required or be a professionally certified engineer (PE License) and have a Bachelor of Science Degree in a technical subject (Engineering Technology, Physics, etc.).
- Professional Engineering (PE) License preferred.
- Minimum of three years of experience as an Engineer II (entry level) or equivalent work experience. A Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Certificate Preferred.
- Working knowledge of applicable computer software necessary to fulfill job duties including but not limited to Microsoft Office and AutoCAD. Knowledge of FileNet, SAP, and Cascade a plus but not a requirement.
- Valid driver’s license and have access to reliable transportation.
- Must embrace a safety culture and maintain a safe work environment for co-workers and the public.
- Must be able to manage “multiple projects simultaneously” and be able to work effectively under the pressure of deadlines, unexpected developments, changes in project scope, budget constraints, unforeseen field problems and demands on time for work assignments outside of the normal duties.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and develop and maintain relationships across FE, with outside firms and manufacturers that further facilitate the cooperation needed to complete assigned tasks and that will inspire others to achieve, or exceed, goals.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in teams to coordinate designs with other FirstEnergy areas of responsibility including Siting and Permitting, Project Management, Maintenance, Forestry, Real Estate and Construction, as well as the Regional operating companies
- Ability to make practical decisions without undue delay and based on the best information available at the time that the decision must be made.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with good verbal skills and writing skills, providing comprehensive project status reports, clear and concise correspondence, and accurate information.
- Must possess strong organizational, computer, and problem solving skills.
- Must be self-directed and not dependent on detailed instruction from others.
- Ability to support numerous locations, must be willing to travel throughout the service area and to manufacturer locations, and to work extra and irregular hours.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team