Director, Research Informatics Systems Engineering (R1549811-en-us)
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Director of Research Informatics Systems Engineering
Reporting to the Senior Director of Research Informatics Systems Engineering, the Director of Research Informatics will be responsible for executing an ambitious digital strategy to support BMS’s informatics and predictive science capabilities in R&ED. The successful candidate will partner closely with computational researcher teams, IT leadership, and various technical functions to design and deliver digital solutions that streamline access to computing & data, and help scientists derive insight and value from their research.
- Partner with corresponding region/site computational scientists to design, deploy, and maintain digital environments to support their needs
- Partner extensively with the internal IT data engineering teams to streamline the flow of data into research informatics platforms
- Partner with the internal IT Cloud and Cybersecurity engineering teams to rapidly deliver secure cloud capabilities
- Partner with the IT infrastructure teams to ensure that servers, storage, network, and other infrastructure are suitable for research use cases
- Enable and support R&ED scientists conducting scientific experiments in the research compute environment locally or distributed across our geographical footprint.
- Develop strong relationships with Computational Research leads and manage ongoing roadmap updates to leadership including the corresponding IT Business Partners
- Take responsibility for training, education, and awareness of computational research environment capabilities and work actively with Research leads to drive adoption across Informatics & Predictive Sciences teams
- Manage bespoke vendor relationships for research informatics services and handle renewals, license procurement, cost savings, and user issues
- 10+ years of leadership experience delivering digital solutions in a high technology environment with 2+ years of experience with pharma/biotech research
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Good understanding of agile development practices and comfort acting as a product owner
- Working knowledge of two or more programming languages
- Knowledge of web services, API, REST and RPC.
- Database experience, including knowledge of SQL and NoSQL tools
- Proficiency in shell scripting (BASH, SH, CSH)
- Familiar with using various storage solutions and protocols (S3, EBS, EFS, NFS, CIFS).
- Experience using monitoring solutions like CloudWatch and Audit trail.
- Solid understanding of networking and internet protocols, including TCP/IP, DNS, SMTP, HTTP and distributed networks
- Experience with Infrastructure-as-Code (IaC) using tools like CloudFormation or Terraform.
- Kubernetes experience with a container-orchestration system for automating computer application deployment, scaling, and management
- Extensive experience with open-source technology, software development and system engineering
- Experience managing technical vendors and outsourced providers
- Bonus certifications: AWS Solutions Architect, Cloud Security Certification, OpenStack Administrator Certification
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.