Director, Software Engineering - Telecommute (106585370)
UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Optum Labs is the research and development arm of UnitedHealth Group. We're a diverse team of curious thinkers and experts in big data, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and scientific and clinical research searching for new ways to help people live healthier lives. We partner with world leaders in health care delivery, research, and technology to create disruptive solutions that serve patients, caregivers, providers, and commercial and government payers.
More equitable, effective, and affordable health care - that's our goal. We aren't just trying to improve the care an individual receives. We're building a future where the health care system works better for everyone.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Overall development life cycle of the solution and manage complex projects with significant bottom-line impact
- Work with product managers in developing a strategy and road map for the launch of various products
- Work closely with senior engineers to develop the best technical design and approach for new product development
- Instill best practices for software development and documentation, assure designs meet requirements, and deliver high-quality work on tight schedules
- Project management - prioritization, planning of projects and features, Stakeholder management and tracking of external commitments
- Translate business requirements into technical solutions, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
- Operational Excellence - monitoring & operation of production services
- Career management and development of direct reports
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- 10+ years of experience with back-end technologies, such as Python, Ruby. Java, Spring, Spring Boot, Rest API Development
- 3+ years of experience overseeing teams that build data products and services in large scale data environments
- Hands-on experience with cloud computing platforms such as Azure, AWS & GCP, Big Data processing platforms (Databricks, Snowflake, BigQuery, orchestration tools (Airflow, Azure Data Factory) and data streaming platforms (Kafka, Flink, Event Hub)
- Experience managing multiple teams of 5+ engineers (manager of managers) both on and offshore
- Software development experience in building web services and highly scalable applications
- Solid software development background including design patterns, data structures and test-driven development
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- Experience and/or knowledge of AI & Machine Learning
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build process, testing and operations
- Experience in health care application development
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at Optum Labs, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. Connected Communities are UnitedHealth Group’s enterprise-wide employee resource groups (ERG) and are a key component of our inclusion and diversity strategy that helps our employees be part of 8 different communities. UnitedHealth Group supports local, regional and national organizations throughout the year. We fortify the efforts of a wide range of organizations that share our commitment to inclusion and diversity, through joint development of initiatives, event and program participation, volunteerism and giving. Our culture of inclusion is reinforced within our Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe that striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $113,500 to $218,100. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $113,500 to $218,100. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.