Distribution Engineering Manager ( R-00073998 )
Currently, we have an opportunity for a Senior Distribution Engineer for electric utility engineering. This position will be working with our growing Power Distribution Engineering team. This role will require leading other distribution engineers, oversight and QA/QC both simple and complex engineering projects, working directly with clients, and ensuring the Leidos reputation of high quality is maintained.
The successful candidate will have an interest in developing construction work packages for the electric distribution system using various software systems and construction standards.
Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment. Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management Systems (WMS), and other client systems.
Project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, transformer sizing, voltage drop and flicker, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements. Work assignments will include travelling by motor vehicle to various project locations located throughout the area to conduct field investigations. Additional responsibilities will include direct supervisory oversight of project team(s) to ensure aforementioned work tasks are carried out successfully within scope, schedule, and budget requirements.
• Bachelors of Science in Engineering degree (EE or CE preferred) is required and 8+ years of prior relevant experience or Master’s degree with less than 6+ years: relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering
• Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and client construction standards
• Experience using CAD tools
• Experience with software such as: PoleForeman, SAP, Maximo
• Must be comfortable in both a field and office setting
• Must be able to lift 20 pounds
• Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on unpaved surfaces
• Candidate must provide their own reliable transportation (Local customer/job related travel is anticipated and will be reimbursed at IRS approved rates)
• Experience with distribution design: reconductoring projects, voltage conversion projects, distribution automation projects, new business projects
• Professional Engineer certification is preferred
• Previous Project Management experience is preferred
• Previous supervisory experience leading engineering teams is preferred
• Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills
• Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
• Positive attitude
• Strong focus on Scope, Schedule, Budget, and Quality of engineering deliverables
• Ability to work with limited supervision
• Ability to work effectively in teams.
• Professional dress and demeanor
10% Field Inspections
50%-70% Engineering and development of design packages for construction crews including peer reviews and quality control checks
20-40% Performing administrative tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up including management and development of team
No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse IT and engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies”.
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment & flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth
Leidos is trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to our Power Delivery Services for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms.
Currently, we have an opportunity for Distribution Engineer for electric utility design engineering.
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.