Supervisor, Substation Engineering Standards - Akron, OH or Greensburg, PA (51408)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU]
This position can be located in Akron, OH or in Greensburg, PA.
The job of Substation Engineering Standards Supervisor requires an individual to be self-directed with a strong ability to oversee the creation and maintenance of engineering standards and specifications used to produce designs, order equipment, and construct FirstEnergy substation facilities. This position will oversee a staff of engineers, drafters, designers, both internal and external, and engage in a wide variety of engineering to support standard designs that are used to efficiently estimate, design, and construct FirstEnergy substations. This position will report on the progress of assigned tasks and advise of any issues that could impair the successful completion of the task on a proactive basis. This position will also provide technical support to Substation and Transmission personnel, Real Estate, Project Management and Construction crews verifying that no safety standards are compromised and confirming accuracy of all standard work products.
- Ensuring designs support a safe environment for transmission lines and substations personnel, contractors, and the public by incorporating safety by design principles.
- Overseeing the creation of standard substation engineering designs for use by internal and external staff. Possible tasks include design of steel structures, foundations, clearances, layout drawings, grounding, oil containment, lightning protection, electrical schematics, and wiring diagrams.
- Strong technical writing skills for preparing material, service, and equipment specifications.
- Oversight in preparing bills-of-material for the development of material lists to support standard designs, including the creation and maintenance of compatible units (CU's) for material forecasting and estimating.
- Reviewing NESC clearance requirements to ensure maintenance personnel and the public are safely protected.
- Directing technical personnel to gather and record data for substation projects.
- Working with outside engineering firms, vendors, equipment manufacturers and consultants.
- Providing engineering support to employees to assist in their learning of standards, procedures, designs, and specifications.
- Analyzing engineering, construction, and maintenance feedback related to standard designs, equipment, etc., and developing appropriate solutions and alternate design options.
- Foresight and general construction aptitude to anticipate and eliminate design and construction issues when creating standard substation design modules and compatible units.
- Reviewing manufacturer drawings for compliance with specifications.
- Conducting design reviews, substation audits, and test witnessing at manufacturer’s facilities as necessary.
- Evaluating equipment ratings and requirements, and project schedules to facilitate the accurate ordering of equipment to support project in service dates.
- Supporting communication across business units regarding project needs.
- Researching and exploring new technologies that will effectively enable work processes to be automated increasing efficiencies while decreasing the risk of human error.
- Ensuring standards and equipment specifications are up to date and accurate, reviewing against industry standards and best practices.
- Reviewing existing materials, components, and design standards for process improvement and cost savings.
- Participating in industry meetings to confirm FirstEnergy has a voice in direction of industry (i.e. IEEE, EPRI, CIGRE, NERC, NEC, ASCE, ACI, etc.).
- Preparing and delivering training to support knowledge transfer between both internal and external design staff.
- Oversight and directions of consultants as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field; with a minimum of 8 years relevant experience required. An advanced degree or professional certification preferred. In lieu of a degree, a minimum of 12 years of direct, relevant experience will be considered.
- Relevant work experience includes, but is not limited to, any of the following: design engineering, maintenance engineering, project management, construction management, system planning, or any other related electric utility experience.
- Effective supervisory practices, effective planning and budgeting.
- A professional engineering (PE) license is preferred but not required.
- Working knowledge of applicable computer software necessary to fulfill job duties including but not limited to Microsoft Office 365, computer aided design.
- Knowledge of FileNet, SAP, Cascade, SharePoint design & maintenance, and programing experience a plus but not a requirement.
- Must embrace a safety culture and maintain a safe work environment for co-workers and the public.
- Must be able to supervise a large quantity of projects simultaneously and be able to work effectively under the pressure of deadlines, unexpected developments, changes in project scope, budget constraints, unforeseen field problems and demands on time for work assignments outside of the normal duties.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and develop and maintain relationships across FE, with outside firms and manufacturers that further facilitate the cooperation needed to complete assigned tasks and that will inspire others to achieve, or exceed, goals.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in teams to coordinate designs with other FirstEnergy areas of responsibility including Siting and Permitting, Project Management, Maintenance, Forestry, Real Estate and Construction, as well as the Regional operating companies
- Ability to make practical decisions without undue delay and based on the best information available at the time that the decision must be made.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with good verbal skills and writing skills, providing comprehensive project status reports, clear and concise correspondence, and accurate information.
- Must possess strong organizational, computer, and problem-solving skills.
- Must be self-directed and not dependent on detailed instruction from others.
- Ability to support numerous locations, must be willing to travel throughout the service area and to manufacturer locations, and to work extra and irregular hours.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team