Sr. Manager Software Engineering ( 598474-1C )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon powers America’s fastest and most reliable network. We’re also leading the way in cloud and security solutions, IoT, location, and video entertainment. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our ambition and are united in our shared purpose to shape a better future.Technology moves fast and so do we. Here, we have opportunities to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and in the space to innovate, create, and shape our lives. Together, we are moving the world forward - and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Verizon New Business Incubation (NBI) is looking for a Sr Manager, Software Engineering to manage a group of engineering teams’s deliveries while ensuring their staffing and dependency requirements.Working under the direction of the Chief Software Engineer, you will have an intimate understanding of the mechanics of delivery of SaaS solutions, platforms, services, and applications that drive efficiency, scalability, reliability, and security.
You should have the ability to drive alignment across a diverse array of perspectives, and find your joy in coordinating multiple team initiatives, owning delivery, and mentoring the next generation of software engineers. We are looking for an innovative leader with strong engineering instincts and a collaborative, empathetic approach.
Verizon Innovation Group works to accelerate the symbiotic relationship between humans and machines through the orchestration of platforms and services supporting Industry 4.0. From terrestrial and aerial robots to location tech, sensor intelligence and industrial IoT, some of the most transformative future technologies are being validated and developed in our group.
- Fully and completely understand multiple team delivery timelines and dependencies
- Across our projects, evaluate staffing needs and partner with recruiting as well as third party vendors to best position talent
- Excel as a leader and facilitator for our new product delivery teams
- Coordinate activities of groups and individuals to meet deliverables
- Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the community
***This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager. ***
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 6+ years of relevant work experience
- 4+ years’ experience leading and mentoring software engineering teams
- 2+ years of software engineering experience, including Java and/or related languages
- 2+ years’ experience designing, building, and shipping large-scale distributed software services and solutions
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Experience with AI and ML tools, and techniques
- Experience designing, building and managing Internet-scale APIs
- Experience with Big Data technologies
- Experience with edge computing paradigms
- Experience with Industrial IoT and adaptive manufacturing
Verizon will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical, religious, or state law recognized reasons).