Senior Manager, Software Engineering (106882768)
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
This position is required for OptumRx platform engineering team where we are targeting three main areas by providing engineering teams the ability to self-provision, self-configure, and self-manage and operate the experiences they build on top of a platform. Platform team provides software, tools, and APIs for engineers to do their work, but in addition provides the necessary documentation, templates, guidelines, consulting, and support to enable the engineering teams.
As part of Platform engineering, one of the capabilities we are developing is called ‘Unified Graph (Composite API Platform)’ is a ORx Strategic move towards creating a common reusable platform that implements federated GraphQL microservices using Apollo Gateway. Providing front-end developers, the ability control to explore, construct, validate, test, and accurately perform data-need communications. This platform will provide a single endpoint as well as standardizing on GraphQL query language. The platform will provide access to GraphQL subgraphs in Azure Public Cloud, as well as any on-prem subgraphs.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Set clear goals in alignment with organization priorities
- Coach the team to meet performance objectives
- Work with performance issues as and when the need arises
- Raise the bar for the team by bringing in the right talent
- Maintain high levels of Employee engagement for respective teams
- Work with cross functional teams (possibly outside the portfolio) on enterprise initiatives – influencing without authority
- Clearly communicate and bring alignment
- Work with diverse set of teams - operations, product, Quality Management, etc. on enterprise initiatives from time to time
- Maintain accountability for the metrics for the capabilities/apps/platforms - System Performance (Availability, Page Load time, Stability), Productivity Improvement, Agile Maturity, Raw Error Rate, etc.
- Provide leadership during Outage, war room calls
- Deep dive into product incidents and come up with improvement plans to address the same
- Drive cloud native engineering practices in the team
- Work closely with product groups and influence technology direction for the product
- Own the capability/domain and drive improvement in business outcomes by partnering with various stakeholders (product, operations, marketing, etc.)
- Meet all enterprise obligations like time accounting, staff budget management, utilization, and productivity improvement
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of experience in building highly scalable internet facing applications
- 2+ years of practitioner experience on Agile/DevOps
- Experience utilizing hands-on engineering skills with the ability to debug products
- Experience engineering products/platforms of the cloud (moving apps to cloud or building cloud native application) (prefer cloud native)
- Proven ability to manage a team of 8-10 engineers including Engineering Managers, Architects, Senior Engineers and College hires
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Experience in US healthcare or retail domain
- Experience in member/customer facing platforms like customer websites, Call Center platforms
- Experience in Data Science concepts and application of the same in building products
- Experience in search (Elastic Search) and Streaming architecture using Kafka
- Solid experience utilizing collaboration and inter-personal skills with the ability to clearly communicate and work with stakeholders up the hierarchy, within the team and across the team
- Solid experience utilizing Cloud platforms like Azure or aws (Azure preferred)
- Solid knowledge and understanding of end-to-end web application deployment in a data center – Multi-DC deployment and Traffic Management (GTM vs. LTM) API Gateway (including security management), Core vs DMZ deployment patterns
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $97,300 to $176,900. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $97,300 to $176,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.