External Design Engineering Supervisor - Akron, OH or Greensburg, PA (54204)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co. a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp.
This position can be located in Akron, OH or Greensburg, PA.
The job of Supervisor, External Design Engineering requires an individual to be self-directed with a strong ability to manage substation design over a number of projects being worked on by multiple external design groups. This position requires an in-depth understanding of substation design requirements, specifications, and standards. The position will oversee a staff of external engineering leads coordinating with external design firms engaged in a wide variety of substation design projects from the request for project estimation through construction and record update. This position will report on the progress of design projects and advise of any issues that could impair the successful completion of the project on a proactive basis. This position must provide technical support and training to external engineering leads and external design personnel, verifying that no safety standards are compromised, checking for accuracy, monitoring engineering expenditures to ensure projects stay within budget allocation and meet the required in-service date.
- Assigning and supervising external engineering leads and their projects with external design firms.
- Reviewing and approving substation project cost estimates prepared by external firms.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with all external firms.
- Utilizing and developing direct reports’ skill-sets to support departmental needs across the FirstEnergy organization.
- Evaluating substation ratings and requirements, and project schedules to facilitate accurate engineering.
- Supporting communication across external firms as well as internal business units regarding project needs.
- Working with outside consultants, vendors, and equipment manufacturers.
- Ensuring specifications and standards are up to date and accurate. Reviewing against industry peers, manufacturers’ best practices and industry standards.
- Participating in industry meetings to confirm FirstEnergy has a voice in direction of industry (i.e. IEEE, EPRI, etc.).
- Supporting and sustaining FirstEnergy as a high performing organization by contributing to excellent organizational performance and values of FirstEnergy through responsible effective work performance.
- Conducting design reviews at manufacturer’s facilities and plant audits as necessary.
- Conducting test witnessing at manufacturer’s facilities as necessary.
- Supporting work crews during construction including office work and field visits.
- Appearing on behalf of company at local public zoning and planning committee meetings, and at outside organizational events like EPRI and NATF.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) from an ABET accredited school plus a minimum of 7 years related experience required. In lieu of degree, 10 years relevant multi-disciplined technical and operational background required.
- Relevant experience includes engineering, supervision and mentoring others, experience with substation design sufficient to assure compliance with FirstEnergy engineering practices, engineering standards, budget practices, field practices, equipment specifications, and maintenance practices.
- Effective supervisory practices, effective planning and budgeting is required.
- Working knowledge of applicable computer software necessary to fulfill job duties including but not limited to Microsoft Office. Knowledge of FileNet, SAP, AutoCAD Inventor, AutoCAD Electrical, and Cascade a plus but not a requirement.
- Must embrace a safety culture and maintain a safe work environment for co-workers and the public.
- Must be able to manage a large number of projects simultaneously and be able to work effectively under the pressure of deadlines, unexpected developments, changes in project scope, budget constraints, unforeseen field problems and demands on time for work assignments outside of the normal duties.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and develop and maintain relationships across FE and with outside firms that further facilitate the cooperation needed to complete assigned tasks and that will inspire others to achieve, or exceed, goals.
- Ability to coach, counsel, and develop employees.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with good verbal skills and writing skills, providing
- comprehensive project status reports, clear and concise correspondence, and accurate information.
- Must possess strong organizational, computer, and problem-solving skills.
- Must be self-directed and not dependent on detailed instruction from others.
- Ability to support numerous locations, must be willing to travel throughout the service area and to manufacturer locations, and to work extra and irregular hours.
- A professional engineering (PE) license is preferred but not required.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team