Senior Manager - Data Engineering ( 599827-1C )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
You'll be leading a team of data engineers in the VBG Sales Operations Reporting and Analytics team. Your team will build datasets, define metrics and master data, and automate data pipelines to support reporting and analytics for Sales and Sales Operations teams across VBG. You’ll work closely with business stakeholders and your reporting peers within the team to understand, consult and deliver on data requirements to enable end users with reporting and analysis.
- Manage a team of data engineers to deliver high quality datasets for use by BI developers to build dashboards and analyses.
- Develop your team’s technical skills, business, and data knowledge.
- Coordinate and prioritize work across your team based on business need and in partnership with your BI team lead peers.
- Plan and orchestrate releases on a regular basis and set proper expectations with all stakeholders to ensure predictable, error-free delivery.
- Leverage your deep VBG business knowledge to design and build datasets and processes to support reporting and analysis.
- Build relationships with Sales and Operations stakeholders across VBG BUs (Global Enterprise, Public Sector, Business Markets) to understand the changing needs of the business and resulting data requirements to enable business goals.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams in Finance, Marketing, Operations and IT to align on metrics and dataset definitions.
- Ensure data standardization and usability for consistency across reporting and analysis outputs.
- Build data pipelines and ETL flows to bring data in from various sources, integrate it and make it available for use.
- Focus on automation and building robust processes to minimize maintenance requirements as business needs shift rapidly.
- Be accountable for data accuracy, high availability, and process stability.
- Stay current on new tools and technologies and leverage them to improve existing processes and enable new capabilities.
- Establish coding and data structure standards for use across your team.
- Manage the data and ETL infrastructure on which our data pipelines and processes are built.
- Help on ad-hoc requests and SQL work to support your team as necessary.
Where you will work:
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience leading a team of technical resources, preferably data engineers.
- Experience in data management, data pipeline automation, ETL.
- Familiarity with ETL tools, specifically SSIS and Informatica.
- Experience writing advanced SQL queries using Teradata.
- Willingness to travel (infrequently).
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Master’s degree in a related field such as computer science or information systems.
- Experience with Tableau server management and dashboard building.
- VBG business knowledge in the Sales, Marketing, Ordering, Finance and Operations areas.
- In-depth knowledge of the wireless and wireline data structures in the data warehouse.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical, religious, or state law recognized reasons).