Sr Manager of Data Platforms (Engineering and Infrastructure)
Sr Manager of Data Platforms (Engineering and Infrastructure) (Job Number: 2211116 )
Most people know us for our big yellow trucks. But we’re so much more than that. At Penske we have a 50-plus-year history of leading the transportation and supply-chain industry, delivering world-class and award-winning technology solutions. And, the key to our success is our people.
You’ll work alongside great people and on really cool projects. Ultimately, you’ll help develop and ensure our technology solutions keep our company and our customers moving forward.
The Data Platform manager is accountable for establishing and leading Platform Operations Automation efforts. The role will lead the data platform teams that provide data solutions and cloud infrastructure. The data platform hosts a variety of apps including but not limited to business intelligence, AI/ML, IoT Streaming, micro-services, self-service analytics, and data-driven digital products and services.
The expectation would be for the leader in this role to collaborate with internal & external technology stakeholders to build a culture of operations excellence incorporating Dev Sec Ops industry best practices. This role builds Platform operational capabilities to consistently deliver value-add data solutions while optimizing cloud costs that are commensurate to the value delivered. The expectation is that the capabilities being delivered also include platform service automation, exception-based monitoring & alerting, CI / CD optimizations for data pipelines, automated templatized deployments, and data model performance tuning upgrades that increase resource usage efficiencies.
We are seeking a candidate who is passionate about data and data platform technologies and has a proven history of leveraging them to drive solutions that enable development teams to move quicker. The ideal candidate does not need to be a “hands-on” expert in all technologies but instead should have a background in technical leadership with experience leading teams in a wide variety of technologies.
This position can sit out of our corporate headquarters in Reading, PA, or our IT Center in Tampa, FL. We are open to relocating qualified candidates to one of those two areas.
The primary function of this role includes:
- Leading the design and implementation of platform technologies to support applications, creating a set of measures to ensure quality and control of engineering capability and performance
- Reducing/removing bottlenecks in the platform ecosystem and building run ops transitioning capabilities for a smooth transition to steady-state.
- Contributing to the design, build, and operational management of a highly scalable, and available platform
- Partnering closely with Global Security to ensure the platform is secure against new and emerging threats.
- Support Development, installation, and/or managing virtualization, orchestration, and/or container infrastructure: such as: Tanzu, Kubernetes
- Job Responsibilities
- Leads the design and implementation of technologies to support applications.
- Partners cross—functionally across the organization and closely where and when needed.
- Oversees and manages product vendors, platform vendor licensing and pay-per-use contracts and delivery of SLAs.
- Advises management in developing processes, policies, and procedures. Implements effective engineering methods and provides technical guidance and acts as a resource for engineers.
- Competencies: Leadership skills. Ability to foster teamwork. Oral and written communication skills. Ability to identify and seek needed information/research skills. Technical expertise.
- Works with key stakeholders to formulate a comprehensive technology plan that is consistent with the overall business objectives and budgetary considerations.
- Applies broad knowledge of capabilities and environment to identify new growth areas, new technology, and emerging opportunities. Conducts technological research by studying organization goals, strategies, practices, and user projects. Recommends information technology strategies, policies, and procedures by evaluating organization outcomes; identifying problems; evaluating trends; anticipating requirements.
- Manage headcount, budget, hiring, onboarding
- Build and enable your area group to sustainably deliver high-quality data platform products
- Coach managers and help them to sustainably grow the teams and individual
- Experience in building SaaS/PaaS on AWS/GCP
- You had/have extensive coding and architecture experience
- Strong Background in Docker and Kubernetes and/or Terraform, Cloud Formation
- Vmware Engineering, VMware vSphere API's
- Experience in bringing traditional middleware applications into Containers
- Hosting solution for Cloud-native application: Tanzu, OpenShift
- SDLC Automation, Cl, CD: Jenkins, Jira, Git, Artifactory, Selenium, Sonar
- Middleware Technologies: Apache, Tomcat, Jboss, Node.js, Nginx, Weblogic, Websphere
- Messaging Technologies: Kafka, IBM MQ, and Tibco
- Database Technologies: Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Mongo
- Experience integrating using Storage API's: S3, Glacier
- Security Technologies
- Bachelor's degree in Information Systems or Business Administration or Computer science required
- 12 years of technology related experience required
- 3 years’ management experience required
- 2 years’ technical project leadership, ITIL, and operational support required, experience in Agile methodology and tools such as Jira preferred
- 3 years’ experience working with SQL and Data Modeling required, including a complete understanding of data modeling and data engineering solutions
- Understanding of various data platforms such as Geospatial, Graph QL, Time series is required
- Experience with Vendor management for delivery and operations required
- 10 years’ experience within MySQL, Oracle, and PostgreSQL, Greenplum/Hadoop, NoSQL database technologies, Cloud-hosted Datastores preferred
- 3 years’ experience in Data Warehouse systems, Data Lake, and BI solutions, including working with tools such as Qlik and QuickSight preferred
- 2 years’ hands-on public cloud experience preferred, including experience with technologies and tools such as Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, Configuration Management, and Provisioning Automation
- 2 Data Integration technologies (ETL/ Kafka/ RabbitMQ) preferred
- 2 years’ experience with automation tools such as Cloud formation, Terraform, Ansible, etc. preferred
- Knowledge of current Cloud Database services (RDS on AWS), S3, and in-memory cache storage such as Gemfire
- Understanding of data platforms supporting Machine Learning and AI environment, such as SageMaker, preferred
- Experience as an individual contributor DBA and/or Database management preferred
- Must have a thorough understanding of security practices such as LDAP, SSL, SSO, and certificate management
- Proven work ethic with the utmost integrity
- Self-awareness, with a desire for constant self-improvement (goal-oriented)
- Personality traits for successful individuals may include self-motivated, passionate, empathetic, approachable, outgoing, energetic, and upbeat
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job.
- Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are required
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information; and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Penske Truck Leasing
Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P., headquartered in Reading, Pennsylvania, is a partnership of Penske Corporation, Penske Automotive Group and Mitsui & Co., Ltd. A leading global transportation services provider, Penske operates a premier fleet of vehicles and serves its customers from locations in North America, South America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Penske’s product lines include full-service truck leasing, contract maintenance, commercial and consumer truck rentals, used truck sales, transportation and warehousing management and supply chain management solutions. Visit www.GoPenske.com to learn more. #DICE
Work Locations :100 Gundy Drive 100 Gundy Drive
Reading, PA 19607
Primary Location : United States-Pennsylvania-Reading
Job : Information Technology
Penske Oracle Job (US & CA only do not edit): : PTL.Senior Data Platforms Manager
Req ID: 2211116