Transmission Engineering Design Supervisor (58725)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU]
The Supervisor, Transmission Engineering Design is responsible for supervising a team of engineers, designers, and drafters. This position requires an understanding of projects relating to the design, construction and maintenance of transmission facilities. The ideal candidate will possess working knowledge of PLS-CADD as well as an understanding of transmission design and analyses, wire sag and clearance calculations, NESC and OSHA clearance requirements, development of design packages, creation of bills-of-material for transmission line projects, and creation of standards. Additional experience with the Power Line Systems design suite and foundation design is a plus.
- Developing and maintaining a safe environment for the transmission line network to ensure the safety of FE employees, contractors, and the public.
- Reviewing engineering designs and standards.
- Supporting work crews during construction including office work and field visits.
- Must be able to coordinate designs across FirstEnergy (Operating Companies, Siting and Permitting, Project Development, Project Management, Maintenance, Forestry, Real Estate, Environmental, Substations and Construction).
- Working with various industry and regulatory groups as required to learn and advocate industry best practices (e.g., EPRI, CEATI, EEI, NATF, etc.).
- Appearing on behalf of FirstEnergy at local public zoning hearings and planning committee meetings, and state utility commission hearings as a subject matter expert.
- Providing engineering support and mentorship to employees to assist in their learning.
- Managing transmission line encroachments to ensure NESC clearance requirements are met. Coordinating encroachment responses with Right-of-Way Services and Transmission Line Maintenance personnel and ensure that public safety is protected.
- Providing assistance during emergencies and storm related activities.
- Preparing and/or reviewing engineering design calculations, reports, specifications and construction documents, and other technical documents as needed, in coordination with staff and project team members.
- Researching and exploring new technologies to enhance processes, increasing efficiencies, while decreasing the risk of human error.
- Manage project workload and Issue for Construction due dates.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Civil, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering (BSCE, BSEE, BSME) from an ABET accredited institution and a minimum of 8 years of engineering experience is required. In lieu of a Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, a Professional Engineer (PE) license and 12 years of multi-disciplined technical experience is required.
- A Professional Engineering (PE) Certificate is preferred.
- Capable of communicating, motivating, and driving positive change and improvement.
- Must demonstrate effective analytical and reasoning capabilities and writing skills, including ability to effectively structure and confidently present information to peers, industry work groups, regulatory bodies, and leadership of FirstEnergy.
- Must be able to handle a variety of complex issues and assignments.
- Must adhere to FirstEnergy's Code of Conduct and industry compliance obligations.
- Must demonstrate a questioning attitude to continue to learn, produce results, and strengthen existing relationships.
- Related experience includes engineering, engineering standards, budget practices, field practices, equipment specifications, and maintenance practices.
- Must possess strong organizational, computer, planning, budgeting, and problem-solving skills.
- Must be self-directed and independent.
- Must embrace a safety culture and maintain a safe work environment for co-workers and the public.
- Must be able to manage many projects simultaneously and be able to work effectively under the pressure of deadlines, unexpected developments, changes in project scope, budget constraints, unforeseen field questions, and demands on time for work assignments outside of the normal duties.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills as well as the ability to develop and maintain relationships across FE and with outside firms.
- Ability to coach and develop employees.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team