Engineering Professional Co-Op / Intern-Summer 2023
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00].
Our Transmission group is a growing segment of our company. We are looking for individuals interested in a career as an Engineer in our Transmission group. There are multiple Engineering Co-Op positions available for Summer 2023. Desired majors: Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering. Possible work locations include: Akron, OH, Fairmont, WV, Reading, PA, and Greensburg, PA.
This is a full-time engineering co-op position during regular business hours, and the successful candidates will be expected to devote their full time and attention to the position during regular business hours. It is recommended that students are not to be enrolled in a regular school schedule during the co-op session. If classes need to be taken during the co-op session, the expectation will be that those classes need to will be taken outside of regular business hours.
As an Engineering Co-op, you will have the opportunity to participate in the Co-op/Intern Professional Development Program, which is designed to cultivate professional skills and provide professional level work at FirstEnergy. Each participant will receive a personalized development plan, on-the-job training, and challenging assignments to refine skills and round out competencies.
Based on your Engineering discipline, as well as the department and projects you are assigned to, selected candidates may:
- Support FirstEnergy engineers in developing or maintaining engineering programs, including revising and developing procedures, completing analytics, updating applications, performing field walk downs, and verifying inputs to the engineering programs
- Assist FirstEnergy engineers in performing engineering studies, analysis, and/or design in support of transmission engineering planning, protection, design, operations, and/or maintenance of the transmission system.
- Support FirstEnergy engineers in the development of system equipment models, protection specifications and the investigation of transmission system relay events
- Assist FirstEnergy engineers in developing transmission line and substation design packages
- Support FirstEnergy engineers in the continued effort to maintain the substation's current maintenance strategy and investigate reliability / performance issues
- Develop and write summary reports and power-point presentations to document and communicate engineering analysis, results, and recommendations
- Work closely with Project Managers to implement one or more of the hundreds of projects that comprise the multi-billion-dollar transmission capital project portfolio
- Provide analytical and technical support to the engineers developing the 5-year capital project portfolio
As a FirstEnergy Co-Op, you will also be expected to:
- Fully participate in the FirstEnergy Co-Op/Intern program mandatory events
- Utilize knowledge, skills and abilities to work on challenging assignments and contribute to FirstEnergy success
- Gain understanding of the electric utility business and seize the opportunity to explore potential career paths at FirstEnergy
- Engage in candidate self-assessments and use supervisory feedback to improve your performance
- Develop career contacts and receive guidance from coaches and peers
- Network with other students
- Present to department members and leadership at the end of each session/rotation to highlight projects and contributions
- Must be enrolled in a four (4) year accredited college / university in a degree program focused on Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better
- Must have the ability to work without sponsorship (now or in the future)
- Ability to commit to a minimum of two (2) CO-OP rotations preferred
- Must be willing to relocate to / reside near reporting location for the duration of the assignment
- Minimum of sophomore, junior, senior or graduate level class standing is strongly preferred.
- Successful completion of basic engineering coursework
- Must be able to work in both an office and field environment with the ability to comply with safety procedures
- Experience with Microsoft Office and computer-aided design program applications a plus
- Positive communication skills (verbal and written) as well as organizational skills to prioritize and plan work, multi-task and meet project deadlines
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment with minimal supervision
- Ability to use analytical skills to resolve problems and think creatively
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team