Supv, Data Engineering
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,500 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of 3,780 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
The ability to work remotely within the United States may be available based on business need. This option is not available in the states of California, Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Montana, Nebraska, New York, Oregon or Washington at this time.
We have recently embarked on a Digital transformation journey, by launching our Digital Factory where we are reimaging the way we work and serve our users. Our projects benefit the community by aiding in providing safe, reliable electricity to everyone:
- Customer: create analytics to improve customer satisfaction along the customer journey for a lifetime as they move-in to a residence, pay their bill and move to new residences.
- Transmission & Distribution: develop algorithms to detect asset failures, reduce outages and provide reliable electricity to customers.
- Smart Meter: provide customers with the electric usage they need to make smart decisions about their home as well as reduce threats and theft in the electric system.
What you’ll do:
The Data Engineering Supervisor will supervise the data engineers responsible for building data pipelines that drive analytics solutions. These solutions will generate insights from the connected data, enabling the organization to advance the data-driven decision-making capabilities of the enterprise. Some of the environments this team frequently works with are MemSQL/SingleStore, Teradata, Azure (including Data Factory, Data Lake, Synapse and Machine Learning) and PowerCenter and IDR. The successful candidate will also perform the following responsibilities:
- Actively leading a high performing, empowered team that develops data engineering solutions to enable advanced analytics (machine learning models, artificial intelligence, and/or statistical models)
- Advocating a culture of sharing, re-use, design for scale stability, and operational efficiency of data and analytical solutions.
- Ensuring adherence to data engineering standards and governance, working with the Core IT Data Engineer leadership to ensure consistent applications across groups as well
- Supporting numerous projects and activities simultaneously, ensuring that squad objectives are consistent with overall Innovation & Digital Factory objectives
- Leading the evaluation, implementation and deployment of emerging tools and processes for advanced analytical data engineering, as part of architecture road mapping efforts
- Participating in the overall project planning for and resource balancing for data engineers
- Participating in vendor management processes including resolving support issues, product road mapping and license renewals
- Performing quarterly check-in conversations with employees and providing coaching and feedback on performance, expectations, professional development, and career growth
- Ensuring that the group follows IT change management procedures for product releases
- Championing FirstEnergy’s Core Values & Behaviors, through coaching and by personal example
- Supporting major incidents, project activities and support concerns off hours as required
Who you are:
- You have a bachelor’s degree in a quantitative discipline such as Computer Science or another related field with 7 years related experience required. In lieu of a degree, 9 years of related experience required.
- Related experience includes but is not limited to: working with data engineers on major advanced analytics related projects; developing and implementing operational plans, budgets, processes, and road maps
- Understanding of Agile/Scrum development with DevOps methodologies geared toward rapid prototyping and piloting of cloud solutions
- Knowledge of ITIL concepts with a focus on configuration management, change management, and incident management
- Strong interpersonal, communications, presentation, training & mentoring skills
- Ability to observe employees, assess performance, and provide feedback
- Ability to plan for and support employees in career development opportunities
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team