Mgr, Engineering Services
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with Potomac Edison, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp [PO].
The work location for this position may be anywhere in the Potomac Edison footprint.
This position is accountable for managing and directing Utility Operations Engineering Services activities for the distribution function of the company, focusing on Engineering Design and New Customer Service Requests for Engineering Services WV/MD East. This includes all distribution design functions in designated territory.
This position will provide leadership from the following perspectives:
- Being accountable for the performance and results of the team by providing leadership to fellow team members.
- Maintaining a prominent level of safety commitment throughout day-to-day functions.
- Support team dedication to social responsibility through community involvement.
- Ensure environmental stewardship and compliance.
- Responsibility to ensure a culture of inclusion where diverse input is encouraged.
- Driving continuous improvement across the business unit and FirstEnergy.
- Overseeing complex engineering analysis and problem solving in relation to the distribution function.
- Support capital portfolio with timely estimates and plans.
- Creating an environment of accountability and a sense of urgency for meeting agreed-upon expectations and deadlines with internal and external stakeholders.
- Engaging employees to establish and achieve scheduled milestones and appropriate benchmarking measures for safety, reliability, customer service, financial performance, and compliance.
- Understanding and scheduling work according to established processes and procedures.
- Leading efforts that increase productivity and goal accomplishment across business unit.
- Identifying, troubleshooting, and resolving problems on projects and/or processes before they become significant issues.
- Continually seeking opportunities to increase customer satisfaction and broaden/deepen relationships anticipating customers' needs and proposing alternative solutions when necessary.
- Supporting the FirstEnergy storm process.
- Encouraging open, honest, direct, and ongoing conversation across utility operations groups and corporate support groups.
- Responds immediately to regulatory complaints and data requests, working closely with corporate regulatory reporting while keeping utility operations leadership informed.
- Championing an environment within the business unit where self-development is encouraged.
- When needed, lending expertise to an internal team(s) and/or task force.
- Supporting the views and policies of the company and providing strategic direction to customers and employees.
- Fostering communications between work groups through timely and open dialogue.
- Providing timely and open discussion to staff on organization initiatives and updates.
- Planning and facilitating staff meetings.
- Developing the skills and knowledge of staff.
- Supporting and coaching employees on corporate and regional goals and driving achievement through performance and safety.
- Involving staff in development of section specific goals.
- Encouraging employees to think creatively and develop innovative ways to meet and exceed goals.
- Effectively delegating responsibility.
- Preparing succession plans and identifying promotional paths for employees.
- Working with employees in identifying professional goals and objectives while integrating them into development plans.
- Providing regular and routine feedback on performance, recognizing employee accomplishments, and providing coaching for improvement and/or corrective actions.
- Conducting regular check-in conversations with team members to provide timely and relevant feedback on performance.
- Thoroughly understanding and administering human resource policies and regulations fairly and equitably for all employees.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering or other technical discipline, along with a minimum of 7 years relevant work experience required.
- Professional engineering (PE) certification preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership experience required.
- Thorough understanding of electrical utility distribution system design
- Working knowledge of Construction and Material Standards and FE Distribution Policies and Procedures.
- Knowledge of information systems such as Microsoft Office tools, including Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Knowledge of the NESC.
- Self-motivated and capable of communicating, motivating, and driving the team toward positive change and improvement.
- Exceptional relationship management, leadership, teamwork, and managerial skills.
- Superior customer relations skills and strong written/oral communication skills to make clear, accurate and concise written and/or verbal reports.
- Ability to adapt communication skills to all audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and the ability to lead others in achieving goals for the benefit of the business unit and FirstEnergy.
- Ability to make accurate decisions.
- Demonstrated sound judgment.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team