Drawing and Engineering Processes Designer
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU]
The job of Transmission & Substation Designer requires an individual to be self-motivated with an interest and/or ability to assist in the development of engineering designs, equipment and standards for the Transmission and/or Substation Engineering group within FirstEnergy. This position will work within a staff of engineers, designers, survey crews, drafters and specialists, both internal and external, engaged in a wide variety of engineering design, from the request for project estimation through construction and record update. This position will report on the progress of records activities on a proactive basis. This position must provide support to Substation and Transmission personnel, Transmission Planning & Protection, Real Estate, Project Management and Construction crews verifying that standard processes are followed.
- Providing support in maintaining engineering designs and work scope for transmission and/or substation. Possible items including wood and steel transmission structures, foundations, wire sags/clearances, encroachments, layout drawings, grounding, oil containment, lightning protection, schematics, and wiring diagrams.
- Contributing to a safe environment for transmission lines and substations personnel, contractors, and the general public.
- Assisting in preparing and supporting documentation for engineering drawing management system.
- Assisting in reviewing transmission line encroachments to meet NESC clearance requirements and coordinating encroachment responses with ROW Services and Transmission Line Maintenance personnel and ensure the public safety is protected.
- Supporting and coordinating software updates for documentation processes. Including but not limited to: metadata updates, troubleshooting, print requests, processing invoices, locate missing records, scanning records for electronic storage, user support, and conversion of records to current CAD software.
- Coordinating with technical personnel to gather and record data for transmission and substation design projects.
- Providing support to employees to assist in their learning of standards, procedures, designs, and associated issues.
- Assisting in analyzing technical issues, structures, equipment, etc., and recommending appropriate solutions and alternate design options.
- Supporting communication across business units regarding project needs.
- Assisting in researching and exploring new technologies that will effectively enable work processes to be automated increasing efficiencies while decreasing the risk of human error.
- Assisting in ensuring standards and equipment specifications are up to date and accurate,
- Supporting and sustaining FirstEnergy as a high performing organization by contributing to excellent organizational performance and values of FirstEnergy through responsible effective work performance.
- Working knowledge of Generation, Transmission, & Substation drawing details to appropriately maintain and analyze metadata.
- Associate degree in a technical discipline. Consideration will be given to applicants having extensive multi-disciplined technical and operational background in lieu of a college degree.
- Minimum 0-3 years of related design experience
- Working knowledge of applicable computer software necessary to fulfill job duties including but not limited to Microsoft Office and AutoCAD. Knowledge of SAP, PLS-CADD, GIS and Cascade a plus but not a requirement.
- Knowledge of FileNet strongly preferred.
- Proficient knowledge of database and drawing management software strongly preferred.
- Proficient knowledge of AutoCAD strongly preferred.
- Utility industry experience strongly preferred.
- Valid driver’s license
- Must embrace a safety culture and maintain a safe work environment for co-workers and the public.
- Must be able to assist on multiple projects simultaneously and be able to work effectively under the pressure of deadlines, unexpected developments, changes in project scope, budget constraints, unforeseen field problems and demands on time for work assignments.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and develop and maintain relationships across FE, with outside entities that further facilitate the cooperation needed to complete assigned tasks and that will inspire others to achieve, or exceed, goals.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in teams to coordinate designs with other FirstEnergy areas of responsibility including Siting and Permitting, Project Management, Maintenance, Forestry, Real Estate and Construction, Wholesale Agreements, Transmission Planning & Protection as well as the Regional operating companies.
- Ability to make practical recommendations without undue delay and based on the best information available at the time that the decision must be made.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team