Embedded Software Engineering Team Manager
Eaton’s Power Systems Division is currently seeking an Embedded Software Engineering Manager. This position is part of a multi-disciplined new product development team based at the Thomas A. Edison Technical Center in Franksville, WI (about 20 miles south of Milwaukee). The Franksville, WI location is a materials, high power and voltage testing facility. Sponsorship and relocation from within the U.S. are offered for this role.
We understand the importance of work life balance – you will be located at our facility in Franksville, WI with a hybrid schedule of 3 days in office/2 days remote.
What you’ll do:
The Embedded Software Engineering Manager will be a critical member of the Power Systems Division’s Controls Engineering team and will provide technical leadership for the embedded software development team. This group develops real-time controls and protective relays used for smart grid applications in the power distribution industry.
This is a key leadership role and will collaborate with controls managers/team, product managers, and program management to successfully execute and deliver new product development/maintenance of line projects and objectives of the organization. The role will manage a global firmware engineering team of 18 + Eaton and contract employees.
In this role, you will:
• Develop strategic roadmaps and phased feature development plans to support growth and digitalization initiatives partnering with the Underground Switchgear, Overhead Switchgear & Voltage Regulator product lines.
• Collaborate with product lines, global cross functional teams and COE’s to develop/maintain platforms and complex features that enable the safe, reliable, and secure delivery of power.
• Own the embedded systems platforms and technologies roadmap enabling on-time feature implementation and product release.
• Participate in Eaton’s digitalization strategy including feature and data entitlement.
• Drive software quality attributes: system efficiency, scalability, maintainability, reliability, reusability, and secure coding practices.
• Drive decisions, identify critical dependencies and risks; develop mitigation plans to enable timely feature implementation and ultimately product release.
• Identify and implement tools/processes to improve effectiveness and efficiency of the embedded software development team.
• Promote professional and technical growth through performance feedback, coaching and mentoring; recruit, develop, and retain Eaton and contract resources to enhance staffing plans and to maintain a healthy pipeline of talent.
Our engineering teams are passionate about designing products and services that are more efficient, reliable, safe, and sustainable. With five Eaton facilities and more than 1500 employees located in Wisconsin, Eaton’s local footprint enables our employees with state-of-the-art laboratories and access to manufacturing that allows us to deliver robust solutions to our utility, commercial and industrial customers.
For more information about what it’s like to be an Engineer at Eaton, visit Engineering | Experienced Professionals | Careers | Eaton.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in a technical discipline such as the sciences, technology, engineering, or mathematics.
• Minimum (10) years’ experience in software product development, with at least five (5) years working on embedded systems or embedded software development.
• Minimum three (3) years’ experience managing engineering teams.
• Proficiency leading teams programming in C/C+• Proficiency leading teams developing and maintaining products utilizing Embedded Linux or real-time operating systems (RTOS)
• Strong understanding of operating system concepts
• Experience working in an agile development environment with cross functional engineering development teams.
• Proficiency leading teams utilizing automated testing/tools, e.g. GoogleTest, GoogleMock, xUnit++, and modeling design using UML or similar methodologies.
• Ability to travel up to 10%
• Promote best practice sharing, leverage technology and platforms where applicable, seek opportunities for collaboration.
• Ability to identify, communicate and mitigate technical risks and issues.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
The expected annual salary range for this role is $141003.0 - $206804.4 a year.
Please note the salary information shown above is a general guideline only. Salaries are based upon candidate skills, experience, and qualifications, as well as market and business considerations.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Eaton considers qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with local laws. To request a disability-related reasonable accommodation to assist you in your job search, application or interview process, please call us at 1-[Register to View] to discuss your specific need. Only accommodation requests will be accepted by this phone number.
We know that good benefit programs are important to employees and their families. Eaton provides various Health and Welfare benefits as well as Retirement benefits, and several programs that provide for paid and unpaid time away from work. Click here (https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/eaton/company/careers/US%20Benefits%20updated%2010.24.22.pdf) for more detail: Eaton Benefits Overview. Please note that specific programs and options available to an employee may depend on eligibility factors such as geographic location, date of hire, and the applicability of collective bargaining agreements.