Assoc. Dir, Automation Engineering ( MERCUSR94402ENUS)
Our Information Technology team operates as a business partner proposing ideas and innovative solutions that enable new organizational capabilities. We collaborate internationally to deliver the services and solutions that help everyone to be more productive and enable innovation.Position Overview - Basic Functions & ResponsibilityEssential function(s) includes, but is not limited to:The Associate Director - Automation Engineering Team is responsible for supporting the automation (computerized) systems that directly support our company's Wilson Packaging Site, while actively supporting, participating in and embracing an empowered team culture. Administers and directs the Wilson Automation Engineering Team activities including project prioritization, development and evaluation, and resource allocation to meet commitments. Also includes the responsibility of ongoing maintenance and calibration of all production equipment and instruments and providing technical support to packaging. Coaches, manages and develops team of Automation Engineers to achieve department function and site goals. Manages departmental plans and priorities to address resource and operational challenges consistent with site goals. Decisions are guided by policies, procedures and business plan; receives guidance from director. Provides technical guidance to employees, colleagues or clients. Anticipates and interprets client and/or customer needs to identify solutions. Works collaboratively to identify solutions to meet client/business needs.Primary ActivitiesPrimary activities include, but are not limited to:
- Leadership of support for automation capital projects and process improvements/productivity.
- Leadership of these activities may involve oversight of development studies and economic feasibility studies to achieve site or divisional objectives.
- Recruits, selects, and develops high caliber engineering and scientific personnel to meet our company's, objectives, while adhering to all employment policies.
- Actively promotes the scientific and professional growth of subordinates through mentorship, training, and specific project opportunities.
- Coach and identify developmental opportunities consistent with business needs. Recognizes and rewards significant achievement and contributions.
- Responsible for equipment/system reliability and equipment performance (inclusive of downtime) in the bottle, blister, sachet, inhaler, vaccine, secondary packaging areas and Rotateq Pod.
- Directing the activities of, and administratively manages, a professional staff to ensure objective achievement, employee development, resource planning and budget preparation.
- Review and approve Quality Notifications (QNs).
- Author, review, and approve SOPs.
- Take on project management opportunities, by leading and participating in process improvement, learning events, or business support initiatives, as guided or approved by site or divisional management.
- Train employees on new or revised processes or procedures.
- Determine staffing needs and hire to meet those demands.
- Serve as the Subject Matter Expert for automation and Information Technology related matters for Wilson Operations.
- Interact with Vendors and our company's Supplier Development and Procurement Management for issues associated with automation and Information Technology systems.
- Seeks out and identifies new technologies to improve operation/performance at our company's Wilson (improved visions inspection systems, Serialization implementation and improvements, improved control technologies).
- Review and approve Automation or Information Technology Change Controls.
- Review and approve Automation or Information Technology protocols.
- Direct support of regulatory inspections and audits.
- Direct support of validation activities and all other associated Manufacturing Division Information Technology functions.
- Other duties as requested by Management.
- Identifies and resolves technical and operational problems; collaborates with peers to resolve problems that cross into inter-related units.
- Appropriately influence and inform decisions/discussions consistent with expertise Accountable for the performance of work group.
- Makes decisions – guided by policies and procedures – that impact the unit’s ability to meet performance objectives.
- Consults on an as-needed basis with next-level manager on more complex decisions and/or issues that impact other units with inter-related processes.
- Adapts and implements departmental plans and priorities based on division scorecard to address local business, service and operational challenges.
- Forecasts resource needs; manages allocated budget.
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Science, Information Technology or other relevant discipline
- Minimum of 8 years experience in process automation or equivalent
- Preferred: MS in Engineering (ME or EE preferred) or equivalent.
- 4+ years management experience with background in manufacturing/ packaging
- Demonstrated leadership and teamwork skills.
- Strong written and oral communication ability; Excellent analytical and decision making ability.
- Experience in a pharmaceutical cGMP environment highly preferred
- Working knowledge of utility systems (HVAC, Compressed Air Systems, Electrical distribution, Dust collection) preferred
- Possesses working knowledge of lean /Toyota mindsets, behaviors, skills and tools preferred.
Our Support Functions deliver services and makes recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the experience of working at our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:1