Senior Specialist, Engineering ( MERCUSR114891ENUS)
Our Engineers support internal and external manufacturing operations remain operational, continuously improve and innovate. With our extensive range of facilities and environments, our Engineers have opportunities across many diverse areas including Biological, Chemical, Automation, Capital Projects, Maintenance, Safety, Process Development, Technical Services, Utilities and Validation.
At the campus in Elkton, Virginia, we are seeking candidates for a Senior Specialist, Engineering position in our Technical Operations Team to assist the Site Wastewater Treatment and Solvent Recovery operations. The manufacturing facility is located in the Shenandoah Valley along the Shenandoah River and the Blue Ridge Mountains a short distance from the University of Virginia and James Madison University
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to apply their passion and technical skills as a member of a multidisciplinary team assisting the operation of pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, vaccine product manufacturing facilities.
- Facilitating transformation and modernization of the site WWTP, implementing new technologies and operational strategies
- Directing high performing technical team in promotion of wastewater, solvent recovery and storm water operations, including people management.
- Prioritizing work and resources for technical team based on business need
- Developing and implementing a WWTP operational plan to ensure compliant operation and successful treatment of the organic, nutrient, and compound specific loading
- Promoting operations in maintaining environmental compliance, system operational reliability, and energy optimization
- Providing subject matter and technical expertise for capital projects from initiation through design, execution, and turnover acceptance
- Coaching, teaching, and developing the skills of the Technical Operations engineering team as well as the Facilities Operations team
- Fostering culture of inclusion and diversity and strong partnership with operations, maintenance, and quality teams
- Establishing operational performance and process monitoring systems and tools to drive accountability and achieve high levels of performance | Identify and implement process improvements
- Troubleshooting of wastewater treatment plant, solvent recovery, and storm water management systems
- Overseeing and implementing change control management for waste treatment and solvent recovery
- Managing and guiding technical investigations of deviations, identifying root cause, conducting investigational test protocols, implementing corrective actions, and developing investigation report
- Participating in audits and safety reviews | Functions as technical SME for various regulatory audits
- B.S. degree in mechanical, civil, environmental or chemical engineering, or related disciplines
- Minimum six (6) years of technical practice related to WWTP operations, engineering and/or compliance
- Previous skills with steering high-performance work team and/or people management
- Highly developed communication, influence, and teamwork skills
- Ability to handle and prioritize many simultaneous assignments and quickly adapt to changes in business priorities
- Ability to quickly address issues and develop solutions to minimize compliance risk and improve utility reliability
- Strong logical and problem-solving skills and a hands-on approach to problem solving, with a bias towards going to see problems for oneself in the field
- Knowledge and expertise in the application of federal/state regulations, engineering standards and OSHA guidelines
- Ability to examine an issue from diverse perspectives (safety, compliance, maintenance, automation, equipment, process, and people) in order to best comprehend and resolve
- Strong desire to succeed and to help others to do the same
Preferred Learned Skills:
- Master degree in an applicable field
- 10+ years of wastewater Solvent recovery and storm water management
- 1+ years of people management
- 1+ years directing high performing project or technical team
- Working in a pharmaceutical or manufacturing environment
- Programmable logic controllers, distributed control systems, or building automation systems SAP, ProCal, or CMMS systems
If you are a person who thrives on opportunity and possess the technical, management of business, and communication skills that are of value to our business, we invite you to apply. Consistently cited as a great place to work, we discover, develop, manufacture and market a wide range of vaccines and medicines to address unmet medical needs. Each of our employees is joined by an extraordinary sense of purpose - bringing our Company's finest achievements to people around the world.
Our Manufacturing & Supply Division is dedicated to being the most trusted supplier of bio-pharmaceuticals worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, create a reliable global manufacturing network that’s devoted to delivering a high quality, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
Invent. Impact. Inspire.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:Not Specified
Shift:1st - Day
Valid Driving License:No
Number of Openings:1