Engineering Lead (2107028)
Who is Pearson VUE?
We are the world’s leading learning company. Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose – to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them.
The shift to digital learning is undergoing a historic acceleration, creating new opportunities for people to advance their education and careers. As the world’s learning company, Pearson is playing a leading role in providing millions of learners around the world with the content and innovative services to achieve their goals.
To this end, Pearson recently announced a new strategy, which you can read about on our website. Our new strategy is relentlessly focused on consumer experiences. It puts learners at the heart of everything we do. The Pearson VUE business is an integral part of the strategy and we are looking for top tech talent to help us drive the strategy.
Pearson VUE is an industry leader, driving innovative solutions that have helped millions of people gain new opportunities and achieve their career goals. Our Products and Technology team powers our business to deliver over 15 million exams annually at 20,000 test centers in 188 countries.
As a global business, we understand the critical link between technology and business strategy, and integrate them closely to help people succeed in their lifetime of learning. From leadership to stable teams, we foster collaboration and team work towards building a collective “we” culture in everything.
Our Pearson VUE Technology Strategy team, led by Farzana Ashraf, Senior Vice President of Technology Strategy, is responsible for creating, developing, and driving our innovative technology solutions.
Description - External
We are the world’s learning company with more than 21,000 employees operating in 70 countries. We combine world-class educational content and assessment, powered by services and technology, to enable more effective teaching and personalized learning at scale. We believe that wherever learning flourishes, so do people.
Pearson VUE (www.pearsonvue.com) is the global leader in computer-based testing for information technology, academic, government and professional testing programs around the world. Pearson VUE provides a full suite of services from test development to data management, and delivers exams through the world’s most comprehensive and secure network of test centers in more than 180 countries, where we validate the skills and knowledge of millions of individuals every year.
As the Engineering Lead you will be expected to provide leadership and technical direction to a software development team for a component within a specified product domain. In this role you will work with Architects to create and implement a long-term vision, orchestrate high-quality software implementation, and maintain, guide, and improve architectural integrity and evolution for their assigned area. Additionally, you should excel at fostering high team morale, mentorship and be comfortable coaching team members to ensure best practices and architectural guidelines are followed for their assigned area. You will also be expected to continually contribute to process improvement activities.
The Engineering Lead will:
Working with Product Engineering Managers, Architects, and product managers provides architecture solutions and leadership at the product component level. You will oversee the implementation of software that achieves the goals of the architecture in their area.
You will do this by contributing to the following breakdown of general responsibilities:
Architecture & Development:
- Create, document, implement, and oversee the long-term vision, architecture, and initiatives in their assigned area
- Estimate software development requirements, propose alternatives and prioritize development tasks for a given project
- Ensure high level requirements from project stakeholders are satisfied, complete and testable
- Review code and documents for their assigned area to ensure designs and coding are holistic
- Assess and oversee the technical delivery of high-quality projects and products
- Design, maintain, and assess items in their assigned area taking into account performance, maintainability/complexity, market trends and innovation, controlling costs, system robustness and scalability, and long term quality initiatives
- Point person accountable for their assigned area that will capture, summarize, and escalate issues as necessary for resolution and awareness
- Strategic and tactical responsibility on a daily basis for developing and enhancing the technical architecture and projects of assigned area and ensuring user needs are met
- Coordinate and unify the work of architects and team members through the software implementation process
- Assist as necessary with defining roles and assigning workloads for their area of responsibility
- Liaison for numerous functional areas within the organization
- Provide technical mentoring to developers, senior developers, and software architects within a domain or project, or as assigned
- Proactively design training opportunities that align with group goals
- Induct new members for assigned projects
- Proactively foster collaboration among technical teams
Process and Quality Improvement Responsibility:
- Participate in and initiate group improvement activities and initiatives to improve process and product quality in pursuit of excellence
- Participate in and monitor the effectiveness of requirement, design, code, unit test and QA test case reviews and inspections
- Assess and oversee the technical delivery of projects to ensure best practices are followed
- Understand, support and improve the OSSP
- Report any potential opportunities regarding assigned domain, other domains, or client opportunities
Defect and Backlog Review:
- Triage, assign, and monitor new QA or pre-production defects and parking lot items.
Qualifications - External
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, MIS, or equivalent technology discipline
- 7+ years relevant software development experience including creating business applications with relational database systems
- 1+ years experience in software architecture
- 1+ years experience in technical leadership
- 1+ years experience in programmatic interaction with relational database systems
- 1+ years experience working in an agile environment
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to understand philosophy of architecture
- Ability to provide technical leadership to a team
- Ability to lead and/or coordinate multiple teams or projects simultaneously
- Continuous expansion of knowledge in many development languages, applications, and tools
- Enterprise knowledge of business and platforms across systems within our core technology service model
- Ability to effectively manage, measure, and continuously improve working performance and quality of teams and individuals
- Must have strong time management and project management skills including the ability to work well under pressure, plan and set priorities, adapt to change, and meet established timelines
- Must have mentoring and training skills
- Must be a self-starter and detail-oriented
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Windows, Unix and/or OS X system programming
Experience with some or all of the following tools is considered a bonus:
- Docker containers
- Kubernetes Orchestration
- Apache CXF / RESTful Web Services
- Gradle Build Framework
- Selenium Web Driver / Gauge UI Automation
- IntelliJ IDE
Equal Employment Opportunity
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Description - Internal
Bloomington, MN location - no long-term remote work option, nor relocation
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose – to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We are the world’s leading learning company. Learn more at pearsonplc.com.
Pearson believes that wherever learning flourishes, so do people. We are committed to being an anti-racist company in everything we do. We value the power of an inclusive culture and a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm, and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.
To learn more about Pearson’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, please click here:
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other group protected by law.
Organization: Assessments VUE
Req ID: 2107028