Engineering Supervisor (Distribution) ( R-00063834-OTHLOC-PL-2D0747 )
No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Protect yourself and your family with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies”.
We are looking for an Engineering Supervisor for either our Durham or Charlotte, NC office.
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Technical & Non-Technical Training Opportunities
- Leadership Opportunities
- Mentorship & Training Opportunities
- Opportunity to Lead, Grow, and Inspire a Dynamic Team
In this role, you can also expect to gain:
- NESC expertise
- Interface with local clients
- Electrical Power Calculations
- Interactions with other disciplines (Substation, Protection & Controls, and Civil Structural)
- Strategic Development
- Expanding a Portfolio of Business
- Partnering with a Variety of Utility Clients Nationwide
The successful Engineering Supervisor candidate will support the following activities with minimal oversight:
- Oversee the design and construction work package development of electrical overhead and underground distribution systems (operating from 4kV through 138kV) from a design team
- Perform quality control and encourage safe work practices while maintaining compliance with project scope, schedule and budget.
- Supervise engineering calculations from the design team that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, fault currents, and coordination of protective devices.
- Work collaboratively with client engineering, operations and other departments to ensure work products and services meet expectations and commitments.
- Develop of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements or calculating a customer Contribution in Aid of Construction (CIAC).
- Review work provided by Client and assess requirements of scopes.
- Preform supervisor duties for a team of 5-8 reports, including:
- Oversee day to day assignments for a small team of entry level engineering designers and technicians.
- QA/QC Review of the engineering work of the team.
- Train entry level designers and technicians.
- Work under supervision of engineering manager to ensure project deliverables are ready in time and on budget.
- Travel to sites as needed, perform inspections and return to the office to perform engineering design work.
- Perform engineering calculations and review work of other Engineers such as: structural analysis for wood pole loading, guying calculations, specifying conductor sags and tensions for recommended spans, and calculation of voltage drop and flicker.
- Coordinate with permit agencies, right-of-way specialists, system owners, field leaders, forestry leaders, and 3rd party owners for joint-owned poles.
- Provide engineering support during construction, including post-construction reviews to ensure all applicable engineering and construction standards have been met.
- Conduct root cause analysis of outages and mitigation using engineering principles and design.
Engineering Supervisor Basic Qualifications:
- Requires BS Degree in Engineering Technology, Geography, Environmental Science, and 1+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience with AutoCAD and or MicroStation
- Knowledge of NESC Standards and Client Standards preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) required.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Willingness to perform both field and office work.
- Overnight travel may be required (10-20% travel).
- Ability to work in outdoor environments.
- Ability to utilize personal vehicle.
Leidos is a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and private developers. In addition to providing engineering and project management services, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms