Engineering Specialist (100704)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
The Engineering Specialist will assist in coordinating and administering the asset capital planning, design, project delivery and construction of water resource projects and
performance of tasks including all or part of the following duties:
- Data input/analysis for department processes and report generation
- Procurement; capital program spend tracking; fixed asset and job cost order processing; expense spend tracking; inventory control, asset records management
- Preparation and maintenance of documentation, general support and administration of projects and department needs; and special projects.
- Effectively coordinate and administer functional support work processes for activities including asset capital planning, design, project delivery and construction to limited tasks for varying water resource system projects. (35%)
- Input and analyze data for department work processes, business systems and reports.
- Prepare variance reports as required. (20%)
- Assists in preparation of documents related to the investment budget.
- Assists in monitoring expenditures to budget according to the Capital
- Investment Management polices and procedures. (15%)
- Prepare and analyze/contribute to department/ functional key performance indicator reports, balance scorecard reports, business performance reviews, and MD Reports. (10%)
- Support procurement of materials and services and effectively utilize business system and procurement agreements. (10%)
- Prepare and maintain files, records,drawings, reports, maps, charts, budgets and other data related to engineering and construction projects. (10%)
- General knowledge of business practices and principles including basic budgeting and accounting.
- Good working knowledge of computer programs, databases and software to support specific assignments.
- Knowledge of water or other utility operations preferred.
- Demonstrated organization and administrative skills.
- Good project/process management skills.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Minimum 5 years experience in utility operations, engineering, construction or business administration support.
- High School or G.E.D. required. Associates Degree in Applied Science, Engineering or Engineering Technology preferred.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.