Head of Early Stage Software Engineering, 5G Disruption ( 579357-1H )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is a leading provider of technology, communications, information and entertainment products, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our ambition and united in our shared purpose to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon is serious about innovation. About being the first and being the best. We are building a future using technologies like 5G, Mobile Edge Computing and Artificial Intelligence that are allowing us to create products that were previously impossible. We’re building tomorrow with the best of today.
5G Disruption is an entrepreneurial team within Verizon's New Business Incubation organization, tasked with seeding the next generation of net-new enterprise software businesses for Verizon through early discovery and validation. We're leveraging the power of our networks to create entirely new B2B products and solutions that push beyond our connectivity capabilities and have the potential to create transformational new growth vectors for Verizon, primarily around Industry 4.0 automation and autonomy. Our New Business Incubation portfolio today consists of nascent early-stage software businesses in drones, autonomous mobile robots, sensor intelligence, location technology, and more.
As the leader of the engineering team within 5G Disruption, you'll be responsible for the tech strategy, validation, architecture, and development of new 5G-enabled software platforms at the earliest stages of our new business incubation process. For each new opportunity we explore, your team is tasked with breaking down the proposed product into each of its component technologies and assumptions, and then designing and executing experiments to prove whether and how the technology should be developed. As those products pass critical stage gate milestones, the team will then lead the early identification and development of patentable software IP before handing over to a product development team. You'll also draw from your expertise to identify technology gaps and opportunities and propose, advise on, and help prioritize new R&D initiatives. And you’ll actively stay current on the art of the possible with emerging technologies to ensure that we’re always staying ahead of the curve.
- Drive the vision, strategy, and set technical standards and SDLC processes at the earliest stages.
- Lead the engineering team in prioritizing, scoping and executing technical evaluation and development, and ensure that the work always ladders up to decisions and outcomes.
- Act as key decision maker around technology strategy and development approach during the early incubation phases.
- Provide input into the R&D funnel and serve as a trusted engineering expert in identifying new business opportunities and tech challenges.
- Develop and apply standardized approaches and best practices to accelerate the engineering team’s impact.
- Collaborate with the business architecture and product teams to improve visibility, processes, and communication mechanisms.
- Excel at leading teams with responsibilities of talent acquisition, management, career growth, team building, and mentoring.
- Provide strategic direction and promotion for the engineering team.
- Understand research and development in a startup environment balanced with the rigor needed for sustainable and maintainable products.
- Lead early technical diligence of technology partners and acquisition targets.
- Provide technical and career mentoring for all members of your team.
- Report out on your team’s status and plans to the executive teams.
- Coordinate estimation of research and development costs and report out to management.
- Coordinate activities of the group, individual contributors and senior level personnel to meet project deadlines and deliveries.
- Provide wide-ranging technical and logistical leadership on how best to position talent.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Six or more years of experience managing technical team members.
- Experience owning software development for IoT-focused products.
- Management experience within an agile environment.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree.
- Software polyglot experience.
- Experience with AWS, Azure, and on-prem service offering and deployments.
- Significant experience with AI, ML, and CV technologies, tools, and techniques.
- Significant experience designing, building and managing Internet-scale APIs.
- Experience with edge computing paradigms.
- Ability and willingness to learn new technologies quickly.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative Agile team.
- Demonstrated aptitude and desire to learn new skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.