Team Submarine Engineering Intern (34601)
Looking for that special Summer 2022 opportunity that will really add experience to your coursework? Want the uniqueness of a new company but not the training wheels of a start-up? A chance to learn about government service, not just the private sector? How about an internship with one of the newest companies on the street with over 100 years of operating experience? Come join the Amentum team that’s helping build America’s US Navy submarines! Work in/near the Washington Navy Yard in Washington DC.
Amentum wants rising college juniors (or second year grad students) with Experience, Passion, and Purpose to provide a variety of support tasks for Team Submarine.
- You'll work with a government acquisition program office, helping government employees and contractors team up to produce and outfit VIRGINIA and COLUMBIA Class submarines.
- You'll get a supervisor that will help you learn the ropes and assign you meaningful work that benefits the team.
- You'll need a DoD security clearance and we'll do the paperwork for that early to ensure you can hit the decks running when you arrive.
In addition to the day to day work, we'll have some special events to enrich the experience. While the exact schedule has yet to be built, we envision a few trips:
- A visit to tour an actual US Navy submarine pierside.
- A visit to a shipyard where you'll see submarines under construction.
- A trip to the Naval Foundry and Propeller Center in Philadelphia.
- A visit to the Naval Surface Warfare Center at either Carderock, MD or Dahlgren, VA.
- An afternoon Washington Nationals baseball game!
- Lunch and learn opportunities with senior Amentum and Navy/government leaders.
- We are expecting an intern program with about 20 total interns so you'll also have the opportunity to meet other people like you and learn from them. Don't wait! Apply now. Interviews and selection will start in November and complete before year end.
Make sure to include in your application:
Submit a cover letter telling us why you are interested in this internship with Amentum and Team Submarine and include your expected graduation date (month/year) and availability for the internship.
An unofficial transcript copy is required to verify minimum credit eligibility.
- Submit a cover letter telling us why you are interested in this internship with Amentum and Team Submarine and include your expected graduation date (month/year) and availability for the internship.
- Must be a College or University student with a minimum of 60 credits.
- Grad students eligible after first year.
- An unofficial transcript copy is required to verify minimum credit eligibility.
- Good oral and written communication skills; excellent knowledge of word-processing and integrated software applications; organizational skills and ability to perform detail-oriented work are required.
- Position requires the ability to receive a DoD Security Clearance.
- Participation in the internship requires that you are located in the United States for the duration of the internship and come to the Washington DC area. This is not a virtual internship.
- You must be able to complete a 12 week internship beginning in May 2022.
- College or university student with a minimum of 90 credits (anticipate at least 4 out of 5 selectees will be rising seniors).
- Pursuing any engineering or science degree.
- Includes cyber security and naval architecture.
- Machine Shop skills/experience a plus