Deloitte is seeking an experienced Engineering Lead to help drive rapid growth of a big data and machine learning product startup embedded inside Deloitte. The team is agile and adaptive, responding to technology change quickly. We're a close team of highly effective technologists and good communication skills with an attention for detail are key. If you love to solve problems in creative ways, we'd like to talk to you.
As our Engineering Lead, you will lead software architecture and integration design, helping to plan, size, develop, and maintain exciting new features for the platform. Our team faces a variety of unique and interesting technical challenges, and you will help tackle the most difficult of those. You will demonstrate to the team what good software engineering looks like, from designing APIs to testing to continuous deployment and documentation.
You will not only lead our feature development, but also the engineering team through positive examples and professional growth. This includes setting standards and demonstrating best practices for code review and quality assurance. You will also represent the product outside of the team by reviewing, advising, and assisting with difficult client implementations. As you grow with the team and the company, you will help spread these good practices to the wider developer community and help grow the team.
Deloitte's Government and Public Services (GPS) practice - our people, ideas, technology and outcomes-is designed for impact. Serving federal, state, & local government clients as well as public higher education institutions, our team of over 15,000+ professionals brings fresh perspective to help clients anticipate disruption, reimagine the possible, and fulfill their mission promise.
The Hybrid Solutions and Incubation (HS&I) offering leads the development of major features and implementations, including helping to design the architecture for those features. This involves coding, testing, documenting, and helping to ensure successful deployment. Reviewing pull requests from other engineers are commonplace, as are pair programming and other similar duties. Our product and technical leaders collaborate frequently with engineers and rely on them to provide insightful feedback on the process, architecture, implementation, and quality of the product. Finally, our team troubleshoots issues in a timely manner which is critical to ensuring the stability of the platform and our client implementations.
- 8+ years of experience in software engineering, both on back end and front end systems
- 2+ years experience leading software projects, including reviewing code from other engineers
- Expert proficiency in Java or Node.js
- Expert understanding of Git and typical Git workflows
- Strong experience debugging and investigating code issues, including root cause analysis
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Deployment (CI/CD) tools, including containerization and Cloud infrastructure
- Experience in agile software development environments
- Bachelor's degree required
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without the need for employer sponsorship, now or at any time in the future
How you'll grow
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience supervising or mentoring other engineers and growing an engineering team
- Experience planning, prioritizing, and sizing software development work
- Experience with graph databases or other non-SQL database systems (for example, Cassandra and CQL, Janusgraph and Gremlin)
- Experience with various API protocols (REST, GraphQL, gRPC, etc)
- Affinity for learning new technology and create problem solving with it
- Well organized and able to work independently
- Experience with Jira and Confluence
At Deloitte, our professional development plan focuses on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there's always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the global, fast-changing business world. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.