SD&A Engineering Interns or CO-OP ( R-00068954 )
Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Security Detection & Automation Operation is the cornerstone of Leidos’ comprehensive suite of fully integrated security detection and automation solutions for aviation, ports and borders, and critical infrastructure customers around the world, with more than 24,000 products deployed across 120 countries. Leidos is positioned to address emerging and evolving threats through rapid development of innovative solutions for our global customers. Leidos’ SDA Operation, in conjunction with the TSA, also performs on-call, onsite installation servicing of X- Ray Detection Equipment using leading edge technology to ensure the safety of our clients, customer and passengers.
The Security Detection and Automation Operation is comprised of four divisions to align with our customers’ missions and needs:
We are looking for intern and / or coop engineers at all levels to work with us in developing system software and hardware for our aviation security business. Working as a member of our multidisciplinary engineering team, our ideal candidates would follow a formal process of delivering software and hardware against requirements and schedules. In this role you will perform meaningful work from day one. We will challenge you to take on high-impact projects, expand your technical skills and exceed your own expectations. We expect interns to perform to the same level of excellence as our full-time employees—which is why we often hire them back!
Interns and / or Coops within SD&A Engineering will support the development, production, and testing of current and future system designs. Your scope of work will be a combination of mechanical, electrical, design, and software projects depending on team requirements, challenging you to come up with creative solutions to affect rigorous quality and performance targets.
Example of project tasks:
Develop engineering test setups
Participate in code / design reviews
Develop sub-system software modules / hardware components
Hands-on testing of security systems
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or advanced degree in a relevant engineering program such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering
- Candidates must be enrolled in a degree program or equivalent experience and less than 2 years prior relevant experience.
- Your GPA needs to be included on your application and resume.
- US Citizenship Requirements
- Candidate must be able to obtain an SF-85P Secret clearance from the FAA customer.
- Proficiency in one or more of the following developer skills: Python, Java, C/C++, SQL or other common industry languages
- Familiarity with database concepts such as MySQL, MS SQL, Oracle
- Excellent grasp of fundamental computer science concepts and ability to write well-organized code
- Proficiency in designing parts and assemblies using 3D modeling software (SolidWorks preferred)
- Experience drafting engineering drawings and conducting tolerance stack-up analysis (GD&T bonus)
- Experience with analog and digital circuit design and PCBs
- Experience with PCB component selection
- Experience in MATLAB, Python, C/C++ or equivalent tools for modeling and analysis
- Experience on using test and measurement equipment like oscilloscopes, signal generators, VNA, etc.
- Eagerness to collaborate cross-functionally with other engineering teams while able to work independently; detail-oriented and execution focused
- Genuine curiosity and willingness to understand how our products are designed, built and how they operate
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a fast-paced and challenging environment
- Exceptional organization and communication skills (both written and verbal)
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.Pay Range: