Operator - Contract Services Group (CSG) (101038)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
American Water's Contract Services Group (CSG), a business unit under the company's American Water Enterprises market-based business subsidiary, offers market-based operation and maintenance (O&M) services in the United States. These services include the delivery of design-build-operate projects and the provision of water and wastewater operations, maintenance, and management services. Our Seattle-Tolt plant is owned by the Seattle Public Utilities and is operated under contract with American Water. We supply about 1/3 of the water for the city of Seattle and its regional customers. Come join our team now by applying for immediate consideration!
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.Primary Role
Independently Operates, maintains, repairs and inspects water treatment systems at water facility (chemical feed systems, filters, buildings and grounds). Includes the collection of water samples per state regulations, recording data, adjusting chemical feed rates, and other similar duties. Position will also be required to assist with equipment, building and grounds maintenance activities.Certifications & Licenses
- The position requires demonstrated experience and possession of a current Washington State Dept. of Health, WTPO Level III or Level IV certification or the ability to obtain water operator license.
- Must possess a valid, active state driver’s license.
- Operates water treatment plant (chemical feed systems, storage tank levels, etc.) to provide compliance with applicable state and federal regulations. Collects and analyzes samples required for compliance and process control.
- Troubleshoot technical and operational systems. Management of a SCADA system in order to meet plant production goals.
- Performs maintenance of the plant systems. Perform assigned general housekeeping duties. Maintains and calibrates hand-held and on-line monitoring equipment and treatment equipment as required.
- Follows Company’s Environmental, Health, and Safety Policies, and report unsafe conditions.
- Takes and records system operation readings according to prescribed schedules.
- Maintains daily logs, records plant operating data as required in logs and operations software
- Effective, timely, and respectful communication and interactions with other employees, supervisors, individuals from other organizations, and customers.
- Performs other related functions assigned or as needed.
- Able to read gauges and meters.
- Prepare and maintain accurate paperwork such as records, logs, orders, surveys and routine reports as directed.
- Able to perform accurate mathematical calculations related to this position.
- Good communication skills will all levels.
- Perform standardized water process control, monitoring, and compliance sampling and testing.
- Past working knowledge using mechanical skills, for making minor repairs to process equipment, piping, motors, etc.
- Ability to respond to emergencies
- Capable of lifting and/or carrying 50lbs. or more on a frequent basis.
- Walking up and down stairs and long distances.
- Carrying, climbing, and working from ladders. Working in confined areas.
- Ability to wear a respirator or SCBA as required.
- Hands-on experience in light duty electrical power systems (120 V/ single and 480 V three phase) and instrumentation calibration and use.
- Heavy equipment experience is a plus.
- Computer skills; MS Word, MS Excel and SCADA systems.
- Collect water samples for analysis by state lab
- Knowledge of the techniques, equipment and materials used in the mechanical maintenance and repair of related equipment and systems.
- Possesses a thorough knowledge of operation and maintenance.
- Specifically, but not limited to knowledge of methods and precautions in storing and handling chlorine and other industrial chemicals.
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations.
- A thorough understanding of operation and maintenance of a drinking water purification plant is required, with at least 3 yrs relevant exp.
- Requires Level II, III, or IV Washington State Department of Health Water Treatment Plant Operator Certification or comparable ABC Certification
- Level II will be considered with the ability to obtain a Level III Cert. within in 1 year as approved by the Washington State certification board.
- High School graduate or state recognized education equivalency certificate.
- College course work and/or degree in biology, chemistry, environmental science or operations curriculum are desired.
- Must possess a valid State driver’s license. Attend continuing education as needed for Operator certification renewal.
- Additional trade specific courses preferred.
- Three years in operation of water treatment operation and maintenance.
- Employee may be required to perform indoor or outdoor work during seasonal heat and cold or other adverse weather conditions.
- Must be physically able to complete necessary tasks while wearing an approved respirator as required, as some required work may have potential for exposure to harmful contaminants, environments, noise, etc.
- Must be able to lift 75 pounds, unassisted
- Night, weekend, holiday and overtime work as needed, including on-call assignments
- Champions safety
- Cultivates innovation
- Customer obsessed
- Drives Results
- Nimble learning
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.