Construction Inspector - Military Services Group (MSG) (100832)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
American Water's Military Services Group (MSG) has been awarded a contract for ownership, operation and maintenance of the water and wastewater utility systems at Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) in Washington state. MSG provides water and wastewater services to military installations across the country as part of the federal government’s Utilities Privatization (UP) Program. Join our team by submitting an application for immediate consideration.
Coordinates, inspects and assists with the construction of new water treatment plant and distribution as well as wastewater treatment plant and sewer collection system components in accordance with approved construction and engineering specifications, policies and practices of the Company. Will utilize expertise in construction field management, quality assurance, quality control, and report documentation. Will serve as primary field contact between the Construction Manager and General Contractors for water and wastewater utilitiesKey Accountabilities
- Performs field inspections of the construction and maintenance of water distribution system and sewer collection facilities. Inspects and approves construction and installation of earthwork, concrete, piping, painting, mechanical and electrical facilities, and/or instrumentation as related to water and wastewater facilities or large infrastructure projects. Interprets, implements, and enforces contract documents and specifications Communicates deficiencies to proper persons.
- Utilize testing procedures, inspection protocols, construction inspection techniques and perform QA/QC functions. Ability to interpret and/or recognize possible conflicts with other underground facilities and/or utilities.
- Work with contractors to schedule utility outages in accordance with AW contract terms and customer requirements. Coordinates and approves contractor’s activities.
- Participate in construction meetings and provide information on schedule compliance, change orders, coordination. Coordinates between Construction Manager and engineering personnel and outside construction firms to maintain standards. Interacts and coordinates with customers and the public as it relates to the performance of construction activities.
- Reviews contractor’s safety program and enforces compliance with safety regulations. Perform all functions of the position in a safe and conscientious manner, with constant regard for the safety of fellow employees and the general public. Follows Company’s Environmental, Health, and Safety Policies. Wear and work in proper personal protective equipment.
- Compiles information and prepares construction reports and reviews as-built drawings as required. Assists in obtaining, preparing and maintaining reports, permits, maps, charts or records related to the construction.
- Performs other related functions assigned or as they become apparent or as management assigns
- Experience with construction inspections of water and wastewater facilities or large infrastructure projects.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Considerable skill in reading and interpreting construction drawings, plans and specifications, and contract documents; skill in applying material testing procedures.
- Ability to prepare, organize and maintain inspection field and office data, reports and systems.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Ability to understand and use an engineer’s scale. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex technical information, orally and in writing in a professional manner to contractors, employees, consultants, and other governmental agency representatives. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively using English
- Some knowledge of civil engineering principles, practices and methods as applicable to a water and wastewater facility setting.
- Working knowledge of applicable laws, standards and regulations relating to construction, inspection and safety; considerable knowledge of inspection methods.
- Broad knowledge of water distribution and wastewater collection systems and their construction maintenance, construction, testing and disinfection.
- Working knowledge of engineering drawings, cut sheets and stake outs
- Inspection experience in water and wastewater industry. 5 years minimum experience.
- Required: High School Diploma, or general education degree (GED) with five (5) years experience in water distribution and construction of water distribution systems.
- 20% Office; 80% Field
- Regularly works in outside weather conditions.
- Will frequently work near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to extreme heat and/or cold. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud
- Preferred: Industry related certifications, training, technical associate’s degree, or Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering or related field.
- Valid motor vehicle operators license with acceptable driving record
- Champions safety
- Cultivates innovation
- Customer obsessed
- Drives Results
- Nimble learning
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.