Construction Supervisor (101655)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water (NYSE:AWK) is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 6,500 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and regulated-like drinking water and wastewater services to an estimated 14 million people in 25 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.Primary Role
Manages the day-to-day activities, development, implementation and operation of company funded and developer funded construction to ensure service reliability and regulatory compliance and in accordance with Company polices and procedures and all applicable governmental laws and regulations.Key Accountabilities
- Plan, prepare, and control local construction within established budget limits and schedules.
- Implement the Capital Investment Management Quality Program, processes and procedures within area of responsibility.
- Manage capital projects and capital program within area of responsibility from inception to completion, including project justification, project costs, project delivery, and project cost forecasting.
- Coordinate construction activities with internal asset owners and other internal functions as required and with external contractors, suppliers and consultants.
- Coordinate construction related activities with rights-of-way owners and other utilities within the public rights-of-way.
- Obtain or coordinate all required permits, licenses, rights-of-way, etc. required for development and construction within area of responsibility.
- Knowledge of the regulated water/wastewater business within the region and the regulations impacting the business as well as applicable regulations, requirements, and trends within water/wastewater business.
- Knowledge of utility construction and project management practices, contract administration, cost estimating and construction technology.
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures and management theories, practices, and trends, expert knowledge of process and operational areas.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills (e.g., fluency, report writing, developing materials and presentations).
- Strong interpersonal skills (e.g., persuasion, negotiation, listening, cooperation, tact, diplomacy, problem solving, internal consulting, etc.)
- Effective leadership skills and presence and strong team building, collaboration and talent evaluation skills.
- Good quantitative skills (e.g., analytical, technical, problem solving).
- Ability to supervise a geographically diverse and dispersed organization.
- 2 year or 4 year degree in operational discipline, management, or related technical discipline or equivalent preferred.
- 3-5 years experience in supervising operational areas and operating units, and managing and meeting performance targets.
- 60% Office
- 40% Field
- Occasional day trips to various facilities up to 2.5 hours away
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because they are an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.