Electrical Engineer - Planning & Protection (53044)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with Penelec, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp [PE].
The selected candidates may work out of any location within the Penelec footprint.
This Electrical Engineering position is responsible for the planning and protection of Penelec's distribution systems. This position performs analysis and recommends solutions to maintain a reliable electrical infrastructure that meets present and future electrical needs.
- Working safely in accordance with the Company’s Accident Prevention Handbook.
- Investigating and developing planning studies to recommend and drive the necessary distribution system expansions and modifications to maintain reliable electrical infrastructure that meets present and future electrical needs.
- Demonstrating proficiency in the use of engineering analysis software to model the distribution system, calculate voltage drop and fault currents of circuits, and perform distribution switching and protection studies.
- Preparing budget estimates and schedules for system reinforcement projects.
- Supporting operations and maintenance by performing switching studies and preparing settings for mobile substation installations as needed.
- Performing protective device coordination studies for substation transformers and circuit breakers along with circuit protection (fuses and reclosers) as needed.
- Understanding and recommending settings for various regulator and capacitor controls.
- Designing and supporting the installation of distributed control systems including radio controls for line switches and reclosers as well as loop line sectionalizing schemes.
- Preparing protection specifications for new capital projects and system upgrades.
- Performing long-term, area-wide planning studies using applicable distribution system analysis software and preparing load study reports that detail the study findings and recommendations.
- Performing capacity studies for customer new load requests and preparing load study reports that detail the study findings and recommendations.
- Performing technical reviews and interconnection studies for customer distributed generation applications.
- Supporting operations with real-time system monitoring and operating/switching studies during peak load periods and system emergencies.
- Providing field and equipment commissioning support to technicians and other operating personnel on an as needed basis.
- Supporting the Penelec storm process as needed, either as a hazard dispatcher, storm analyst or line shop analyst.
- May be assigned special projects as business needs require.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET-accredited school is required. Electrical / Electronic(s) Engineering Technology degree requires a PE license to meet position requirements.
- Minimum of 3 years of engineering experience is required.
- Experience and knowledge of electrical systems, operations, and maintenance practices, switching and tagging, computer systems, work management and electrical controls are desired. Relay control work experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in effectively working and communicating across functional boundaries and providing total customer satisfaction.
- Able to identify and implement effective restoration processes and procedures.
- Self-motivated and a self-starter, customer focused, results oriented and a team player
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Able to analyze data, write technical reports, develop work packages to implement recommendations and the ability to handle multiple assignments
- Able to provide storm restoration support and hazard dispatching duties during storm restoration efforts.
- Able to apply technical skills to solve practical problems and develop and provide technical information to support the Regional Dispatching Office to ensure safe and efficient operation of the electrical system.
- Willing to travel throughout the service territory, and willing to work extra and/or irregular hours.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team