FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,500 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of 3,780 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
This position can be filled in Akron, OH or Fairmont, WV.
The EMS SCADA Design Specialist works at FirstEnergy's Transmission Control Center with a team of analysts and engineers in support of the Energy Management System (EMS). This system is a critical, real-time, 7x24 application that controls and monitors FirstEnergy transmission system assets.
The position is responsible for commissioning activities for all IT-managed Supervisory Control & Data Acquisition (SCADA) and Remote Terminal Unit (RTU) field equipment in support of the EMS.
- Coordinating engineering and commissioning activities with multiple groups throughout FirstEnergy involved in the SCADA delivery process.
- Performing resource scheduling, point-to-point checkouts, troubleshooting, inventory maintenance, and regulatory compliance (change control activities, configuration management, password changes, etc.) activities.
- Issuing as-left settings.
- Providing second-level field support for commissioning activities.
- Managing schedules and coordinating changes following established department procedures.
- Managing SCADA asset lifecycles, including establishing and coordinating maintenance programs for RTUs and associated equipment.
- Working directly with other staff members to identify, evaluate, prioritize, and implement improvements consistent with business requirements.
- Developing a solid understanding of processes in the FirstEnergy Transmission Operations line of business, keeping up with developments in the electric utility industry at large, and being able to speak the language of the business.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or related engineering degree required with 2+ years related experience.
- Related experience includes, but is not limited to:
- Programmable Logic Controllers, RTU configurations, SCADA communications and/or protocols.
- Real-time systems, databases, modeling, and/or networking.
- Related experience includes, but is not limited to:
- Ability and willingness to travel to company sites, work flexible hours and be available for call-in and after-hours support (7x24 operations) as needed
- Ability to effectively use standard PC software, including MS Windows and Office products, web-based systems, e-mail, relational database query tools.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with people at all levels and with varying backgrounds.
- Experience in providing responsive and effective customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize and plan work, work on multiple concurrent tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with relevant utility operations (transmission, distribution, generation)
- Data communications and networking skills/knowledge
- Previous SCADA and/or engineering experience
- Demonstrated analytical skills to effectively resolve technical problems.
- Familiarity with Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) and RTU Programming
- Familiarity with engineering drafting software
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team