Electrical Engineer (57004)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp.
Location: Fairmont, WV or Akron, OH
Responsible for designing, developing, and supporting Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) field equipment that communicates with FirstEnergy’s Energy Management System (EMS).
Perform the following engineering functions in support of the EMS:
- Designing for the installation and modification of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) field equipment, with an emphasis on configuration of Remote Terminal Units (RTUs) to communicate to real-time systems that monitor and control field assets
- Issuing SCADA design packages
- Providing second-level field support for commissioning activities
- Managing schedules and coordinate changes following established department procedures
- Providing engineering technical expertise to ensure the operational reliability of SCADA systems
- Managing SCADA asset lifecycles, including establishing and coordinating maintenance programs for RTUs and associated equipment
- Reviewing and approving completed work packages by technical analysts to ensure adherence to engineering principles and practices
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering
- 1-3 years related experience
- Ability and willingness to travel to Company sites, work flexible hours, and be available for call-in and after-hours support (7x24 operations)
- Proficient with MS Office tools
- Ability to effectively prioritize and plan activities, work on multiple concurrent tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Strong background and experience with personal computer hardware, operating systems and application software (office productivity tools)
- Familiarity with relevant utility operations (transmission, distribution, generation)
- SCADA engineering experience
- Data communications and networking skills/knowledge
- Familiarity with Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) and RTU Programming
- Familiarity with engineering drafting software
Qualifications at the Level III include all of the above, plus minimum of 3-7 years related experience required.
Qualifications at the Level IV include all of the above, plus minimum of 7-10 years related experience required.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team