C-UAS Mechanical Engineer (29585)
Position is contingent upon contract award.
Help us to protect America’s homeland!
Come and join our team of Research, Design, Test, & Evaluation (RDT&E) professionals that identify, develop, demonstrate and assess technologies that keep America’s homeland safe by Countering-Unmanned System Threats (C-UST). We are seeking talented Mechanical Engineers to help counter emerging unmanned threats under varied terrain, environmental conditions, and control modalities. In support of the DHS Science and Technology Directorate, we provide rapid technology development and transition advanced and emerging technologies. By rapidly, integrating and fielding capabilities, you can help us promote mission effectiveness across a broad range of DHS challenges, leading to enhancement of agent and system protection and survivability. Together, we will protect our nation from adversaries’ intent on disrupting our freedoms and harming our nation.
The position may be located in the D.C. Metro area or remote / telework within the continental United States.
- Perform a variety of complex project tasks applied to specialized technology problems. Tasks involve integration of electronic processes or methodologies to resolve total system problems or technology problems. Apply analytical and systematic approaches in the resolution of problems of workflow, organization, and planning. Direct and assist system engineers in the application of system engineering principles to the solution of secure systems design problems.
- Provide engineering, technical, and managerial direction for problem definition, analysis, requirement development and implementation for complex systems in the engineering discipline required to meet technical requirements. Make recommendations and advise on system development, improvements, optimization, or support efforts. Perform risk assessments and analysis employing modeling and simulation techniques.
- Strong ability to apply creativity and problem-solving techniques to innovations in materials, technology and tools to analyze problems, investigate system failures, and create prototypes able to go from test to production environments.
- Supervise, coach and lead work teams in the accomplishment of goals and tasks in support of specific programs.
- Interface with customers to determine specific needs and requirements.
- May develop required technical documentation and provide inputs in support of customer reviews.
- Work with multi-functional portfolio teams in working groups and integrated product teams (IPTs) for materials systems research and analysis for new and emerging systems and technologies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Mist be a U.S. Citizen.
- Possess a SECRET security clearance with the ability to obtain TS/SCI.
- Must be able to pass DHS entry of duty (EOD) requirements including background investigation for DHS suitability with the ability to obtain and maintain DHS suitability.
BS or demonstrated equivalent and 5-12+ years of experience.
Familiar with a variety of the field’s concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
May lead and direct the work of others. May report to a supervisor or manager.
Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational and analytical skills are required.
Travel may be required. If working remote, must be able to travel to site as needed.
- Master’s degree/Ph.D; experience relating to DHS and /or DoD and major systems / programs.
- Knowledge of C-UAS operations/analysis and/or assessments with DoD, US and/or interagency partners in the past five years (Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security or Federal law enforcement agencies preferred but not required).
- Knowledge of C-UAS testing and evaluating technologies used to detect, identify, monitor, and, if needed, mitigate Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS).\
- Understanding of sUAS threats and C-UAS / C-sUAS concept of operations (CONOPS)
- Ability to integrate one or more C-UAS systems together to detect, identify, monitor, track, and mitigate systems with a common operating picture (COP).
- Experience with Department of Defense C-UAS systems (familiarity with systems such as Windtalker, NINJA, Titan, EnforceAir a plus).
- Familiarity with DevSecOps and able to use new technology to run simulations and test systems (including prototypes) with Computer-aided Design (CAD), Engineering (CAE) and Manufacturing (CAM).