Principal Engineer-Network Engineering ( 599966-1B )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
We are investing in our network to improve the way we live, work and communicate. That’s where you come in. You will be responsible for performing diversity analysis on network backbone links (VZB, IOF, VZW), coordinating with Transport Engineering to remediate violations, tracking projects to completion and you will play a leading role supporting our core Engineering Organizations.
- Leading cross functional teams (ISP/OSP, Transport Engineering, IT, Provisioning, Planning) in mapping, identifying diversity concerns, remediation, and inventory systems update.
- Managing study cases specific to the networks and links within your regions.
- Coordinate with Transport Engineering, OSP, IOF Planning, and external vendors to provide fiber maps,
- Delivering technical solutions to engineering, including guidelines, process, and training documentation.
- Providing support and direction for the integration of companywide, standard processes and diversity standards.
- Researching causes for catastrophic outages and proposing remediation or ad-hoc restoration.
- Coordinating and leading UAT testing efforts and creating user stories for IT systems.
Where you will work:
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You take a lot of pride in your work and as a self-starter you enjoy learning new skills and taking on new tasks. While you work well independently, your team orientation and collaborative nature make you an obvious choice to lead cross-functional teams. No stranger to succeeding in a fast-paced, ever-changing network environment, you balance competing priorities with ease. Talking to people comes very naturally to you and as a strong communicator you can effectively explain issues and resolutions to all levels of the organization.
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in Engineering or an Engineering support function.
- Experience in one or more ISP/OSP Network Engineering disciplines including IOF, Access, Data.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree.
- Knowledge of the iEN Network.
- Ability to be a technical strategic thought leader as well as a “hands on" implementer.
- Experience with Engineering Inventory & Provisioning systems.
- Experience creating Process and Engineering Guidelines documentation (Methods & Procedures), Process flows, and standards.
- Experience with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio or Google Suites.
- A solid understanding of Python scripting language.
- Experience in an Agile Environment with a solid understanding of roles.
- Experience creating user stories and feature requests for IT systems development.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical, religious, or state law recognized reasons).