Distinguished Engineer of Network Engineering ( 599896-1A )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Global Network Management – Virtual Engineering Network Management (VNEM) in Verizon manages business critical VoLTE and IMS platforms that provide 3G, 4G, and 5G services to Verizon customers. You will function as Tenant Ops Engineering Lead providing subject matter expertise in support of core network application Subscriber Profile Controller (SPC). You will lead multiple medium to large-scale critical projects and provide guidance to staff members and peers. You will be responsible for performing root-cause-analysis and resolution for all issues with the production SPC. You will participate in budget planning and contract review process, create purchase orders, develop deployment plans, track milestones and ensure timely receipt of budget commitments.
The majority of the work can be performed during the day. There will be work requiredto be performed during the maintenance window hours between 0000-0600 and in some cases 24/7 availability role. Flexibility in scheduling is a requirement.
- Lead the bare metal SPC day to day work and drive the virtual SPC deployment in VCP Core 2.4.
- Perform expert level troubleshooting and debugging of both network and application system issues.
- Implement detailed project plans and provide program status across organizations (i.e. HQNP, MTCE, VCP Core, HQNI and technology partners).
- Develop, generate and oversee service reports for daily KPI measurements and analytics determine engineering address capacity and performance of the SPC.
- Call flow debugging expertise utilizing Wireshark and NetScout applications is required.
- Engage vendors and third party stakeholders involving contract management, SOW/SLA evaluation, security compliance audits, facilitate purchases and requisitions.
- Work closely with equipment vendor SMEs to deploy feature requirements and implementation plans while working collaboratively with cross-functional internal teams.
- Develop engineering and implementation guidelines and providing direction for platform evolution including virtualized implementation of network elements (NFV/Openstack/ATLAS/Marketplace).
- Expertise in relevant standards (Diameter, Radius, Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP), 3GPP, IETF) specifications to guide multivendor teams during the development of call flows and interface specifications for network implementation.
- Evaluating new features and technology, translating business objectives and strategies into viable network implementation.
- Operational experience and expert level demonstrating routine maintenance and automation (Linux/OpenStack/Application Deployment/Programming) as well as debugging techniques for the SPC.
- Enhance current platform’s hardware and software architecture in a staging and production system deployment.
Where you'll be working...
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with Python scripting.
Even better if you have:
- Master’s degree and seven or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule.
- Planning, architecture, product development, and program management experience.
- VoLTE/IMS application design and deployment experience in a cellular or telecommunications environment.
- Detailed knowledge and direct experience with Oracle/ Couchbase database administration, Diameter/RADIUS/TCP/IP, BGP, and authentication protocols (Entitlement, EAP-AKA, and REST API).
- Extensive experience with Layer 1 and 2 network technologies, data base administration, IPv6, and Verizon 4G/5G architecture and call flow process.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical, religious, or state law recognized reasons).